How do you make a mille fleur cochin?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I bought a trio of mottled cochins and a pair of mille fleur d'uccles from one person, and got a black cochin pullet from someone else. I am not exactly set up for pure breeds yet. The millies and the mottleds are in seperated cages. So then I add the black cochin. The cage the mottleds are in atm is really not big enough for 4 chickens, and the millies cage is about big enough for 3, maybe 4. My mottled roo is kind of mean, so I decided to put the black bantam cochin in the cage with the millies. Will I 'possibly' get mille cochins from this mix, or is the base color of the cochin different to start a mille cochin project?

Hi,
I'm not a professional at all but from what I understand you cross a mottled cochin with a buff columbian cochin to get the mille fleurs.
Putting a black cochin in with mottled cochins will not produce mille fleur cochins. I would think that would only make your mottled babies not as "mottled"?
I'm sure someone with more experience will answer, the mille fleur cochins are a hot project right now with a few folks working really hard on them.
Hope someone answers,
Take care,
Angela

No, I put the black in with my mille fluer d'uccles. I didn't realize it was two different colored cochins that they used to make them. Oh well, I'll move her with the other cochins once I get things set up right!

Well you are right a lot of the the breeds we have today are the results of cross breeding over many years but by cross breeding the goal result is a new breed.
You asked about breeding cochins and getting a cochin. Which you would have to just breed just cochins not the d uccle and the cochin.

Most new colors from crosses take at least 2 generations to pop up when recessive factors are in play.
Example: mottling, lavender.

Millefleur is based on gold, columbian and mottling.
Your black (mottled) could be based on silver (don't know, guess not).
Standard Black suppresses columbian (epistatic).
Mottling is suppressed by non mottling.

Quote:
Hi,
Yes that's true but it would take yyyyeeeaaaarrrsss and a lot of time a effort to cull and improve etc..
A big responsibility and dedication for years to accomplish and get to where they are "solid".
Take care,
Angela

Back
Top Bottom