How do YOU make and keep your ducklings friendly?

Crayonsmom

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
MA
I'm holding them right now and can't type much with one hand... But the bigger my two new ducklings get, the more they scramble around when I try to pick them up and hold them. After about 10 minute they settle down and relax, but I feel like they still aren't very friendly. I can't even go near our 6 week ducks any more.
sad.png
I've been holding these two for about an hour eaxh day. It's the most I can really do when I spend most of my free time working with my horse. What are your methods and tips for keeping ducklings friendly?
smile.png

when i hold them i cover their whole body and hide them. seems to work for my one lone duckling who was scared of me. she's better now. she loves my face, but hates my hands. i think if you hide them it will give them a sence of security and warmth. slowly lift your hand just enough so they can see your face and they will get used to them. also if you can, when they are in the brooder, try to get you face level with them and talk to them. when you hover over them, they get scared cuz you are bigger than them. these are things i have learned from friends here on byc
big_smile.png
good luck

Mine aren't cuddly either. They prefer to stick to each other. They hate to be handled, even though I did for the first 2.5 weeks. They are not afraid, they just don't like it. They do come for treats and follow me around outside chatting up a storm. They even come and nibble my ankles for treats. For me that is fine. They show enough affection in their own way. They always run to me when I come out of the house.
Katharina

Hold m as much as possible, give them one on one attention where they follow you around and such. And LOTS fo treats!! One thing ive found hard todo but does work is that you seperate each ducklign you want to imprint on you into their own box with a mirror and feather duster, that way they dont cry when you leave them but they imprint onYO and not the otehr ducklings. Thenafter a week or two you can intergrate all the ducklings and take them out all at once.

Or ou can spend a half an hour to an hour a day in a pen with them. When i have the time i take a bunch of treats in with me and go sit in teh duckling corral . I play in their water and throw treats, not giving them any attention and not looking at them till they get used to eating the treats. then its kind of like a dog. Throw the treats closer and closer and closer till you can make a pile by your feet and reach over and touch their feed while they eat, then their bills / feet and then the rest.

Thanks for all the tips! One thing I'll definately have to do is warm my hands up first.
tongue.png
I'm always noticing how the ducks are warmer than me, and I'm sure they don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom