How do you make chickens lay in the winter?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ederob, Nov 15, 2012.

1. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Anyone know how to make chickens lay when its cold???

2. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

how old are they? have they layed any eggs yet? are they molting feathers? They need approximately 14 hours of "light" to lay.

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    It's the shorter hours of daylight so by adding a light yu can sometimes get them to lay more.

4. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    I have pullets, chicks, adults, old ones and a adult rooster. And yes they have laid a lot when it was a little bit more hot. No they are not molting and i dont know how many hours they stay in the light.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Artificial lighting is the key!!

6. ederob

Jun 6, 2012
    I will try it! [​IMG]

7. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    My girls are spoiled and have still been laying eggs. when I get home in the afternoon around 6 it's pitch black dark but I put on a headlamp turn on the back porch light and the girls are ready to come out lol. I try to let them run around out there about an hour but I stay with them. then I turn off the porch light guide them back to the coop with my headlamp which is really cute to watch. once they are in the coop I turn on the red heat lamp. I have read that it's not good to leave a lot on them all the time because they will eat and lay excessively causing them to burn out on laying at a young age but the light does not seem to keep them awake. by 830 or 9 there for perched and snoozing away. I probably don't need to use the heat lamp as much as I do but I have it set up pointing towards the window on the other side of the window I have 2 other windows leaned up against it making a lean to green house.im in the processes of growing trays of grass and clover.if it works like i plan they will have green to snack on on their coop in the dead of winter.....lol this is the theory of a first year chicken owner ...we will see how it goes.a regarding light a normal bulb on for a few hours after dark should do though

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by