How do you make french toast?

A switch from vanilla is almond extract and still a heavy hand with the cinnamon
wink.png

During the holidays, after dinner, whatever loaf bread (think crusty Italian stuff) is left, I take it home:

Slice bread to desired thickness (not too thin)
Dry out overnight on a cookie sheet
Butter 9x12 pan - less is not more
wink.png

place bread slices in the pan
Mix 6-8 eggs with some milk, brown sugar (1/4 - 1/2 cup'ish), cinnamon, vanilla or almond extract ...I dont measure anything.
The next step is to pour the mixture over the eggs, but before doing so, I eyeball my liquid to bread and pan size ratio. You want to have enough liquid for the bread to soak up thru to the top of the bread. If it looks a little skimpy, I add a little more milk and/or egg(s).

Pour liquid mixture over bread. Place a pat of butter on each bread slice.
Let sit in fridge overnight.
Next morning, turn oven on to 350, put coffe on, tend to furkids, put baked french toast in oven, take a shower, pour your coffee and eat your french toast.

Modify to your needs and wants of course
smile.png

I got my recipe from my old german neighbor and changed it slightly

1 egg yoke per slice of bread + 1 whole egg
1/2c vanilla coffee creamer or whatever flavor you want
2T milk per slice of bread
Crushed Frosted Flakes to cote both sides of bread

Soak bread in egg mixture till soft, pat moist bread into crushed flakes and cook in butter

WOW!
droolin.gif
I never knew that there were so many different things that went into french toast. At our house it's just egg and alittle milk! DANG! I'm going to have to try all of yall's fancy french toast.
smile.png

Ive done it also with creamcheese on one side and jam on another piece of bread, sandwhich them together and then dunk, coat with flakes, and fry

I believe that it is very important that your bread is old, so it stands up to the egg and doesn't turn into a soggy mess..... My mommy taught me that one!!
wink.png

I still want to know how some places make the batter on the french toast thick. My bread always soaks up the batter, and the egg mixture isn't thick on the exterior of the bread. I had eaten french toast at restaurants that are like this. I am going to have to make it with egg nog, and try baking it.

You folks are SUCH bad influences! Now I've got french toast on my mind. I'm sure I'll make it for breakfast tomorrow morning - if I can control myself enough not to make it right now!
thumbsup.gif

By the way - we made french toast last year when I was taking a cooking class. The French-trained chef who taught the class, had us fry the toast in butter in a skillet - and then once it was "golden", we put it in the oven to bake for awhile. It was wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom