How do you make them go home?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by congdon476, Mar 21, 2009.

1. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    OK- after a week of shoo-ing them out of the coop every morning, they have finally gotten the idea that it's great to be outside (6/7 weeks old). NOW... how do I get them to want to go back into the coop when the sun starts setting?! I spent 20 minutes tonight chasing down the last 2 hens (the first 5 and 1 roo didn't take but 5 minutes) to get them back into the coop. Surely there is an easier way? Or maybe they'll get the hint soon? Is this typical with a backyard flock?
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    When mine were little I had to wait until they settled down to roost (notice I said when they were ready to roost, not when I was ready for them to roost [​IMG] ) and then I was able to put them in the coop. They didn't much appreciate being picked up every evening and eventually started going inside on their own. [​IMG]
  3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Quote:Ha... well, they were all laying together in a pile next to the fence, so I "thought" they were ready to go home. As soon as I started to pick up the first one, they all scattered! [​IMG]
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

When I worked earlier hours and had to chase them into the coop well before dark. I would use long (5 foot) sticks to extend my arms. Gave me at least a fighting chance on herding them.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] , I use old curtain rods! DH thinks it's hilarious.
  6. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    All I can say is best of luck I have been seen diving for the one that wants to hang out longer
  7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Do you have a light in your coop? Might make it more inviting to them as it starts to get dark.
  8. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    for the reluctant ones we use very long sticks with the occasional touch on the back.

If that doesnt work bribery:thumbsup
  9. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

When they were little one day old babies I started calling to them everytime I fed them. They figured out pretty quickly to come runnin' when Momma is calling. Even now I feed them twice a day even if it's just a few kitchen scraps or some scratch grains. Doesn't matter how exciting the worms or bugs are they always figure I have something better so when it's time to go to bed for the night I call them, throw something on the floor for them to eat and lock 'em in.
  10. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I walk outside with a bowl. Obviously I have walked outside with a bowl of treats often enough now that when they see a bowl - any bowl - they follow me anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by