How do you make them go home?

congdon476

GaLLiNa LOcA
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Pueblo Area
OK- after a week of shoo-ing them out of the coop every morning, they have finally gotten the idea that it's great to be outside (6/7 weeks old). NOW... how do I get them to want to go back into the coop when the sun starts setting?! I spent 20 minutes tonight chasing down the last 2 hens (the first 5 and 1 roo didn't take but 5 minutes) to get them back into the coop. Surely there is an easier way? Or maybe they'll get the hint soon? Is this typical with a backyard flock?

When mine were little I had to wait until they settled down to roost (notice I said when they were ready to roost, not when I was ready for them to roost
wink.png
) and then I was able to put them in the coop. They didn't much appreciate being picked up every evening and eventually started going inside on their own.
smile.png

Quote:
Ha... well, they were all laying together in a pile next to the fence, so I "thought" they were ready to go home. As soon as I started to pick up the first one, they all scattered!
smile.png

When I worked earlier hours and had to chase them into the coop well before dark. I would use long (5 foot) sticks to extend my arms. Gave me at least a fighting chance on herding them.

Imp

When they were little one day old babies I started calling to them everytime I fed them. They figured out pretty quickly to come runnin' when Momma is calling. Even now I feed them twice a day even if it's just a few kitchen scraps or some scratch grains. Doesn't matter how exciting the worms or bugs are they always figure I have something better so when it's time to go to bed for the night I call them, throw something on the floor for them to eat and lock 'em in.

Back
Top Bottom