how do you make your own chicken scratch? Recipes needed

hahahaha! That is just too funny about the cock roaches! I wonder if you are getting fewer roaches because your chickens are eating them. That's the goal, right? What a fun game you've given your hens :) Hope it's successful. & let us know when you have to give them scratch because there are no roaches!

I had heard that the chickens shouldn't have birdseed in the summer because it "heats them up". Any truth to this?

Thanks!

I had heard that the chickens shouldn't have birdseed in the summer because it "heats them up". Any truth to this?

Thanks!
What type of bird seed is supposed to do that? There are hundreds of different mix's of bird seed. I buy bird seed that is just corn and black sunflower seeds, as well as some that is millet and black sunflower seed. Neither of which hurts the chickens in the summer. I do cut most of the corn out for summer though.

Most people use scratch as a treat--it should not be more than 10% of their daily intake, since it is only 8% protein versus 16% they need. Most scratch contains a various mix of cracked corn, wheat, oats, millet, milo, and sometimes sunflower seed. I usually go with a bag of commercial such as purina although they don't list the exact grains--I think it varies on what is in season and available cheaply. It is easier for me to buy 1 bag than multiple bags of grain in 50 lb. bags (I don't have a feed store that sells many of those grains separately.)

Last edited:
Sweetlilbaby, I don't know LOL. It's just warming up a bit here and I didn't want to include the bird seed if that was the case.

Eggcessive, yes, I do use it as a treat. Throw a handful or two on the ground in their pen, or in the coop if they are confined due to weather.

Thanks to both of you for the replies!

Sweetlilbaby, I don't know LOL. It's just warming up a bit here and I didn't want to include the bird seed if that was the case.

Eggcessive, yes, I do use it as a treat. Throw a handful or two on the ground in their pen, or in the coop if they are confined due to weather.

Thanks to both of you for the replies!

I think birdseed by it's self fed to chickens would cause some issues with getting to much fat. I know currently i'm over feeding on treats, My hens beg at the gate to be able to free range while i'm tossing scratch in their pen. Yep totally over did it. The ducks love the bird seed though :)

The birds still LOVE cockroach time but we have too many for them to go in all together now. Chicken math, so we give them whole corn from the feed market, mix it with potato peelings and they love it. It's one extra step to rough chop the peelings, but less waste = more eggs.
The roaches learned the chicken game and either dont come in the apartment or stay away from floors and cupboards. We're waiting for them to get dumb again so our next batch of chicks can enjoy the light on game. Chicken TV is always entertaining.

Next generation of exterminators

May I ask what you use for laying mash?
And would you have any idea where I could find recipes for : turkeys, ducks, & pheasants?
I am very grateful for any advice!
I want to get completely away from commercial feeds.....

Back
Top Bottom