How do you manage iced water?

We used both a heated dog dish and a 5 gallon bucket with a tank heater in it for several winters. This year we switched to this from Farm and Fleet:
Farm Innovators 2 Gallon Heated Chicken Waterer with Nipples
Blain # 1063517 | Mfr # HB-60P
Today's Price $49.99
View attachment 3292700
I used this one last winter in Eastern Washington State. Worked great. Plan to get a second so there will be two this winter since I added more chickens this year.

In North Texas, we do have hard freezes. I usually use an electric bucket. I've moved the coop further from an outlet and need to determine if my extension cord will reach. If not, I'll check out some other methods that people are posting.

Other than “curbstomping” frozen ice 😀, what do others do when there’s no power to the coop and no extension cord option? I thought maybe there would be a solar aquarium heater but it seems that is not available/feasible. Thinking I either will carry warm water over every day or use an aquarium heater plugged into a battery generator. Suggestions?
I bought the one for a 55 gallon aquarium with a dial on it. Mine is in the coop so the stock tank heater might be a better idea for an outside application.

They appear to be. Given that coffee or tea cups can suffer spills one would assume they are.

What I did with mine was use silicone seal caulk around the cookie tin lids and around the cord where I notched a hole in the side so it was completely sealed and hopefully water proof at that point.

We are going to have our first 20 degree night here Monday night so tomorrow I'm getting mine up and testing them tomorrow, make sure they are still water proof.
I'd love to know how they work and hold up!

With the winter months right at our doorstep, there's also that slippery stuff that we have all taken slips and falls on. ICE. how do us chicken keepers take care of this cold monstrosity in our hen waterers? I tend to just step one snow boot in, and my weight will break the ice. but sometimes we end up having huge chunks of ice in our frozen buckets. Thankfully for me, my chickens L O V E ice, so I can just go at that block hammer and tongs (literally). But not everyone is lucky like me. I have good chickens that are adapted to these freezing New England winters, but sadly, not everyone does. how do you keep the water in a liquid form, and not have it turn into a solid? Please comment below!
A while back, when money was really tight (and may be again real soon), I had a setup that worked so well, I used it for a few years (btw, I live a few miles from the Canadian border)… I took a cinder block, and cut a 2”x8” about two larger all around. Then I mounted a ceramic light fixture to the board (conduit or pvc mounted to the floor->no snags), and wired the cord to a dimmer switch. With the light facing up, put the cinder block over it (chipped a little groove at top and bottom so some air could circulate). I used a metal cocktail tray over the light bulb with some holes drilled around the edge, just in case of a leak, which never happened, and put the galvanized water on the tray… I lucked out and found the cocktail tray was a perfect fit for the bottom of the waterer, but it wasn’t needed-it never leaked. Use a low wattage bulb b/c you don’t want a dimmer switch turned way down, b/c they sometimes go off, if turned way down, I think I only used a 25 watt bulb, maybe 40… Remember, you’re not looking to warm the water, just keep it over 32 degrees. Also, I had a really cheap, wired, battery operated, indoor/outdoor thermometer that I Velcro-ed to the top of the lid, and the probe ran down to the trough—not necessary, but nice to know the temp in the coop and the water 🤓…. Eventually, I figured out the correlation btwn the outdoor temp, coop temp, water temp and where I needed to set the dimmer switch—Yep, I’ma nerd 🤓🥸🧐… Also, I’m just sharing a story here. I am “IN NO WAY” recommending anyone do this, ESPECIALLY if they don’t know how to do the electrical… It was a cool setup and a fun project. Before making this set-up; I had several “water-ers”… carry two full cans out to the coop and bring two slightly frozen ones back to the house to thaw, and repeat this several times per day.
Good Luck 💕,
+Blessings

I save gallon jugs and bring em down. My water freezes at night in my tn winter. I either bust the water or I'm lucky enough to have a big ice cube to dump over. Of course if the water freezes so does my hose. Hence I have to use jugs. My spigot is a good ways from the coop.

I'm in the upper midwest so expect the temps to stay under low 20s(F) (-4ish C) for months; dipping to below zero F (-18C) periodically.

I use insulation. The most effective (practical, at least) insulation per a given volume is vacuum sealed air space. A bucket meant to chill wine happens to be the perfect size for my flock. It has never frozen over the top in the daytime or frozen solid overnight but will freeze in from the edges (top, sides, and bottom) overnight when it is cold enough.

This summer, I found a second ice bucket at a thrift shop so I can switch them out - making one trip to the coop to do chores will be an improvement.

Experimenting this winter will include looking for a way to add a small bottle (or something) of boiling water in the bottom of the bucket; inside the bucket but sealed from the water they drink.
Can you please post a picture of your wine bucket? Thank you.

Can you please post a picture of your wine bucket? Thank you.
Sure. I don't think I have a better picture of mine. The second and third are random web pictures that show what it is more clearly. My second one is also double walled and the same size. It is stainless steel inside and acrylic for most of the outside, I don't have a picture and can't find a random picture of it. . I found each at thrift stores for $5 each. The first was a random chance finding. The second I found after looking for a year but I only rarely got to thrift stores in that time so it is hard to tell how hard they are to find that way.

Attachments

• 6F50CACC-333F-4F56-8EE2-7C7D5152F167.jpeg
    6F50CACC-333F-4F56-8EE2-7C7D5152F167.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 7
  • C92EA375-3F5C-4A3D-BA7C-3CFFB24337AB.jpeg
    C92EA375-3F5C-4A3D-BA7C-3CFFB24337AB.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 52E42208-AA37-4B12-BB4F-3EAB66BB4F4D.jpeg
    52E42208-AA37-4B12-BB4F-3EAB66BB4F4D.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom