how do you mark your hens by age?

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
I am thinking of buying colored bands for my hens so I can tell who is 1 yr old and who is 2 or 3yrs old. what do others do? I had one chicken that someone used a zip tie to band her and it grew into her leg causing her to always hop (hense my name Hoppy).
I don't want this to happen to any birds I band. I do let mine free range in the warm months so it needs to be a safe method and most of my hens are indental.

Bands can dig into legs too if put on still growing birds. They are less likely but still can happen. You need to check the bands frequently if you have birds that are still growing. I don't have a problem yet telling which birds are what age.

I only band the ones that have names and use a color starting the same as their name.
smile.png

I use the spiral type bands. They come in sizes according to breed size and they can expand more if the bird gets a little bigger.

Even with wing bands you will need to check them often while a bird is growing. There is no easy answer.
Also if your dealing with bio security, all in, all out on birds... no more said
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom