How do you name your chickens?

Pics

Twizzler

Songster
May 13, 2020
Western Colorado
My pullets are 8 weeks old and I still haven’t named them. 😅 At first it was because I couldn’t tell them apart. As they get older and I get a better eye for chickens I now can, but I’m still at a loss. Nothing feels right and I don’t know where to begin. I know I’m putting too much thought into it, but while I ponder, I thought I’d ask how other people decide their bird’s names. If they stick with a theme or just name them the first thing that comes to mind.

I have a theme. All of my chickens have flower names: Aster, Bryony, Dandelion, Iris, Poppy, Violet, Zinnia. Even my cockerel has a flower name: Picotee. My cats and dogs are named after historical figures and artists: Henrietta, Georgia, Octavius, Mingus.

I also like using names of literary characters: Aubrey, Stephen, Killick, Padeen, Barrett...

My pullets are 8 weeks old and I still haven’t named them. 😅 At first it was because I couldn’t tell them apart. As they get older and I get a better eye for chickens I now can, but I’m still at a loss. Nothing feels right and I don’t know where to begin. I know I’m putting too much thought into it, but while I ponder, I thought I’d ask how other people decide their bird’s names. If they stick with a theme or just name them the first thing that comes to mind.
Our family went with food names.... Frito, Dorito, Funyon are the Chippies. They all come running out of the Coop when they hear me say Chippy, Chippies. We also have Cheddar & Buttermilk Biscuit, Dumplin’, Peach, Pear and Oreo.

Our family went with food names.... Frito, Dorito, Funyon are the Chippies. They all come running out of the Coop when they hear me say Chippy, Chippies. We also have Cheddar & Buttermilk Biscuit, Dumplin’, Peach, Pear and Oreo.

That’s adorable! Ive seen people do different chicken dishes as names, such as Parmesan and Alfredo.

Back
Top Bottom