How do you name your chickens?

Pics
First off I just have to say I love this thread and reading through it! Such cute creative names!

My rooster was already named Stumpy when I got him because he is missing half a toe:eek:
Then I named my Orpington’s big mama, puddin’ and honey at more or less random. My Rhode Island Red we creatively named Red :lau my black australorp I named mamacita (I guess I had a mama theme going? Lol). We just got 3 chicks, we named our gold laced Wyandotte Winnie...I know, I know, so original again lol. Our Plymouth barred rock I named olive and our Rhode Island blue I named Silver but call Sil all the time. My husband wanted to name her blue and the barred rock rocky...but I was like no we need to get more creative than that lol. My mom just told me she named her chick pebbles which is adorable! Let us know what you name them!

We named ours with names that started with the same letter of their breed. The three Light Brahma's are all Linda. Three RIR's are Rosie and the one Buff Orpington is Buffy. They have zip tie leg bands for the year (2020 is blue). Plus the RIR and LB's have individual color bands. Giving us "yellow" Linda, "red" Linda and "green" Linda. Same for Rosie's...yellow, red and green Rosie.

My chickens all have the most random names possible some have some meaning but not all of them. For example we have these for the meaningful names: brownie ( because she is brown😂), stumptail ( because his tail feathers are, well, short), supersupper ( he was mean and became supper), floorpecker ( because he would lay down to peck food off the ground🙄), little boy blue (has a blueish tail), checkers ( who has a crisscross sort of pattern on her back. For some reason I call her cheerio), and Marion Butts (I have no idea who Marion Butts is but my brothers said he is a football player. I just wanted to call him butt because he is a jerk but they insisted on calling him Marion Butts instead)
I have a lot of other chickens but it takes too long to write all this out😂

This is yzma, the most evil rooster I have ever met. I was the only person he would not attack, including my son who is six foot two. Sadly, he had to be culled, but I'll always wonder if his name had anything to do with his personality.
This is why I’m always careful naming an animal. They either seem to live up to it or the total opposite. It’s why I won’t name any animal Loki. Last thing I need is a mischievous trickster on my hands

We named ours with names that started with the same letter of their breed. The three Light Brahma's are all Linda. Three RIR's are Rosie and the one Buff Orpington is Buffy. They have zip tie leg bands for the year (2020 is blue). Plus the RIR and LB's have individual color bands. Giving us "yellow" Linda, "red" Linda and "green" Linda. Same for Rosie's...yellow, red and green Rosie.
I like that system. Do they peck at the bands or fuss with them at all?

DH does the naming here. It started with a pair of Cochins, which he named Hayden and Christine (after the TV show Coach). There's a black Naked Neck hen he calls Francois because he thinks she sometimes looks like she wears a beret. There's Fred, named after Fred Astaire for the way he dances for his girls. Kristin is Christine's daughter. Etc. He just lets me know when a name hits him, and it usually sticks :)
I need this system. Just someone to name for me lol

Back
Top Bottom