How do you name your chickens?

Pics
Sorry for getting the song stuck in your head! I actually hated Blaziken’s design, but after imagining as a sort of Brahma it’s not as intense. It does make a good broody name too!
Nah, don't worry about it -- I might track it down later, for nostalgia's sake. Heck, I might try to track down the entire first season, for nostalgia's sake... that show had probably the best dub that I have ever watched.
Yep... I can see Blaziken as a Brahma. It works.
I find "Minun" to be a cute name, now that I think about it... definitely a bantam.

I name based on alot of things lol!
Some of mine were hatched while I was watching TWD so they got names from the show.
Some are named for family members and byc family members.
One is named due to the shape of the egg she hatched from.
One is named for her sparkling personality and people skills, her name is Hobo btw lol!
And my youngest rooster I named Prince Rogers Nelson because he was a tiny sassy little guy who reflected a ton of purple in his feathers.
So see, im all over the place.:)
He sounds handsome! I’m a sucker for iridescent feathers. I think it’s why light colored roosters don’t impress me as much

Nah, don't worry about it -- I might track it down later, for nostalgia's sake. Heck, I might try to track down the entire first season, for nostalgia's sake... that show had probably the best dub that I have ever watched.
Yep... I can see Blaziken as a Brahma. It works.
I find "Minun" to be a cute name, now that I think about it... definitely a bantam.
I remember being in the first grade I think and watching it in school. The teacher would put it on while we all waited for our parents to pick us up. I think she just needed some peace and quiet.
Once I imagined it that way, I liked it a lot more. I might even sketch it out one day for kicks and giggles
Oh that definitely works for a bantam

I’ve got a mixed flock of 11 chickens. 1 big boy rooster & 10 pullets. I had 2 more hens & 1 more pullet but a dog ripped open the side of my coop & kill them. My hems where both Rhode Island reds named Misty & Ruby. Misty got her name because she LOVED playing with my autistic son & his misting squirt bottle. She’d stand there till she was water logged getting misted by him. He really misses her. Ruby got her name from my son. We were trying to come up with names & he said he wanted to call her ruby & it stuck. Our rooster was Sid but got changed to Heyhey after we watched the Disney movie moana. My little pullet who died name was Lucky. She was very feisty. She got her name because when she was only 1 week old she got super sick. We thought we were going to loose her. Some how she managed to pull through & became the runt of the pullets. That didn’t slow her down though. She was fast! Always 1st to the feed & treats. She’d run in & snatch worms away from the bigger birds before they even saw her coming.
My remaining pullets are divided like this:
4 black australorps
2 Rhode Island reds
2 Easter eggers
1 red speckled Sussex
1 red sexlinked Novagen

my australorps names are Onix, Pea, Oreo, & Sidney
Rhode Island reds are Red & Sassy
Easter eggers are Puff & Fluff
Sussex is Nessie
Finally Novagen is called Nova

Pea is short for Peacock. She’s got so much green iridescence in her feathers that a peacock is what she reminded me of. Oreo got her name from having a single white feather on her wings. Both sides. Sassy because that’s what she is & has been since the day we got her. Nessie was named after lock ness monster. My son had just watched a documentary about it. My husband named Puff & Fluff. Their his favorites. Sidney got her name from the fact that we weren’t sure if she was a hen or rooster when she was younger. If she had been a rooster she would’ve been Sid instead.

He sounds handsome! I’m a sucker for iridescent feathers. I think it’s why light colored roosters don’t impress me as much

Here's the roo I wish I hadn't rehomed. This was on an overcast day.

1591335958396.png

My pullets are 8 weeks old and I still haven’t named them. 😅 At first it was because I couldn’t tell them apart. As they get older and I get a better eye for chickens I now can, but I’m still at a loss. Nothing feels right and I don’t know where to begin. I know I’m putting too much thought into it, but while I ponder, I thought I’d ask how other people decide their bird’s names. If they stick with a theme or just name them the first thing that comes to mind.
Well I’m a first timer also but I let everyone in the fam take a crack at it. We have three each of three breeds for a total of 9 hens to be. We used nine names that had something to do with their breed names or at least partially such as the Swedish Flower Hens all got some type of Flower Name and the Black Orpingtons got Black names. So we have Onyx , a Black Betty and a Verbena and a Poppy or a Poppie , our Legbars are a little different. They took on different names because one was tiny so she was named after my Mama’s tiny dog a chihuahua who was a tea cup from many many years ago named Tina. And then we have a pair of twins we called Thelma and Louise. Then the last was called Macha for mach-a green tea. That was my daughters doing but somehow it fits and she seems to be everyone’s favorite hen including her 8 sisters. She is our largest and tallest and loveliest chick. She was supposed to be the third Flower hen but we believe the hatchery made an error and she is a Legbars. The Flower hens do have three different coats or colorings rather but she is nothing like the black of the other two. She looks just like my other three Legbars but prettier and just a shade lighter but Tina is a shade darker than the twins so maybe she is the Flower Hen? Who knows?

I have seven. Two cream leg bars, two red sex links, one white leg horn (I think) one mystery white one, and one mystery buff one
Would you mind posting some pictures of your cream Legbars? I would love to see them. Mine are at 4 weeks old right now. Just about to hit the gawky stage and still have some down on them and a little fuzz and pudge left. I still think they are so cute yet. They are in full on excavation mode right now. Making such a mess!

Back
Top Bottom