How do you not go crazy and buy so many chicken and chicken breeds?

My limits are weather, predators, budget for feed, and coop/chicken yard space.

I originally wanted to start with 6-7 and let occasional broods get me up to ~15-20 birds of various ages. Minimum orders stink, but it was more cost efficient to meet the min. So, my starter flock is about the total size I wanted.

There will probably be a minor population spike as my first birds age out and the succeeding generation matures, but the biggest curb on flock size will be me and well-exercised self-discipline.

FWIW, I settled on a single breed that fit my needs and environment. But mine are neither pets nor show birds. The only things around here without a job are me and the geriatric cat. 😉

I simply don't have space to continue expanding (I will certainly try though by golly).

I get what I'm interested in when I can (some hard to get ones are still causing problems), and see if I like it. Already learned this year no more lavender (too many losses and I'm sick of buying st run), hatchery Orpingtons, silver leghorns or accidental broilers (my boy eats enough on his own in the NN pen he's ruling over).

I should avoid big combed breeds (I try at least, but apparently it doesn't work) and just get what I like (you will never catch me dead with an australorp, [insert state] Red, or buff Orpington).

Plus unfortunately predators help population a bit, especially chicks from broodies.

, if Im going through more than 4or 5 bags of layer feed a month then I need to downsize
Whoops 😞

Yes I will, I am in FFA and I showed my silkies and they got 1st place so im excited to make some show girls!
Know that's going to take at least 2 generations, likely more to lock everything in properly

I set a limit for myself. Honestly, I could have tons if I wanted. I am not rich, but I live well within my means, and I find once you have a coop and yard set up, adding more birds isn't a huge expense, nor is it all that difficult.

My current limit is 20 chickens. I have 12. I add 2 or 3 each year to keep eggs coming. I won't cull any. My girls have worked hard for me, and they deserve happy lives.

But that doesn't mean i don't appreciate yard candy!

I have:
  • 1 Barred Plymouth Rock
  • 1 white Cochin
  • 1 buff Orpington
  • 1 buff Brahma
  • 1 Welsummer
  • 1 black Silkie
  • 1 splash Silkie
  • 1 silver Sebright
  • 1 production red
  • 1 black Naked Neck
  • 1 lavender Orpington
  • 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben
I'm hoping to get 1 each:
  • Easter Egger
  • Ayam Cemani
  • speckled Sussex
  • Leghorn
  • Polish
  • Jersey Giant
  • BLR Wyandotte
  • Mosaic
I should add that o am the primary breadwinner here, and I'm also the one who takes care of all the animals.

When it comes to living things I have no problem exercising restraint - after all I'm the one that has to go out there rain or shine to take care of them.

Non-living things (aka anything you can shove in a box), I'm not so good with restraint...
I have an issue with non-living things, too. You know, things that you can shove in a box... especially if that box is a shoe box.

I have way more room outside for chickens n things than I do inside for my rather impressive and overwhelming wardrobe.

Hi. My name is Auntie. I'm addicted to clothes.

For me, the limitations include all that have been mentioned and diseases! I really do hate diseases! Getting more birds can introduce diseases or disabilities. Although not super common, diseases are a huge pain. Cost is definitely a big one, too.

I like to pick a few favorites and get rid of some.

Non-living things (aka anything you can shove in a box), I'm not so good with restraint...
*cough*yarn*cough*

I set a limit for myself. Honestly, I could have tons if I wanted. I am not rich, but I live well within my means, and I find once you have a coop and yard set up, adding more birds isn't a huge expense, nor is it all that difficult.

Confession time: I LOL’d. This is quite similar to the rationale that ended with me having 13 cats, in an earlier life.

I have an issue with non-living things, too. You know, things that you can shove in a box... especially if that box is a shoe box.

Hi. My name is Auntie. I'm addicted to clothes.
Thankfully I never really got started on shoes ("Not true!" yells hubby) but ugh, you should see my purse closet. And I'm a Christmas ornament fiend.

Back
Top Bottom