How do you prep your birds for the 4th of July?

What do you do to minimize the stress brought on by fireworks. I'm thinking about bringing my flock to the basement for the night ...
Ironically things like thunder or fireworks do not seem to freak them out. Moving around the run with a bowl full of treats and then putting the "big black bowl" down will send them into a frenzy lol. Silly birds. Yesterday it was dark and gloomy, thunder, starting to rain, they were just pecking around the yard like nobodies business. Meantime, my dog was hiding behind the toilet bowl.

What do you do to minimize the stress brought on by fireworks. I'm thinking about bringing my flock to the basement for the night ...
I have ducks. No chickens. I put them in the garage with pads on the floor. Put a little fence around them and a kennel and m the fence. It’s not perfect but at least they feel somewhat safe while my family is out celebrating. It’s better than having them outside.
This year they will probably go on the basement with the same set up.
That being said, my flock is only 3. This might not work for you if your flock is bigger.
If they are tiny baby chicks I would definitely put them in a tub (I use a large storage tub with no lid) and bring them inside since you can. At least this year!!! 🇺🇸

They've coped with thunder, hail on metal roofing, heavy machinery, and other such things.

I don't have neighbors putting on a noisy show on this property, but my in-town flock did. They were settled on their roosts in the coop and didn't react in a way noticeable to me on the outside of the coop.

Frankly, I've never thought about it. They've never shown any sign of distress. It's the 4 legged beasts that I have to worry about every July 4th and New Year's Eve, with neighbors all around competing for "best fireworks show on earth" award.

Back
Top Bottom