How do you prep your birds for the 4th of July?

This year might be a little better since people are more cash strapped and you can't eat fireworks..:)
Unfortunately that doesn't stop people around here. They used to sell fireworks next door to me, but I didn't see the booth in 2021, so hoping they won't be back - not that it stops people from shooting off fireworks, but there was always debris left behind and in my driveway.

Ironically things like thunder or fireworks do not seem to freak them out. Moving around the run with a bowl full of treats and then putting the "big black bowl" down will send them into a frenzy lol. Silly birds. Yesterday it was dark and gloomy, thunder, starting to rain, they were just pecking around the yard like nobodies business. Meantime, my dog was hiding behind the toilet bowl.
:goodpost:
Exactly the same with mine - fireworks, storms, heavy machinery - none of that bothers them. The cats are hiding under the bed and the chickens are hanging out. But boy is that big black bowl scary!
:lau

Yeah I find those stupid little rocket sticks everywhere.
So much trash and risk, not to be a Karen but I don't understand how they are legal.
I mean go to an actual fireworks show, they're everywhere let the professionals do their job to entertain your fire bug self.
I'm not anti fireworks but they need to be done in a responsible way.:)

Ok I had a moment of self reflection.
For five years now I've made my husband leave the property, I'm taking get in the car and go elsewhere to shoot one single, solitary giant firework.
I'm definitely a Karen.
He always thinks he's going to shoot it here and that never happens.
I just thought about that.🤣
Unfortunately that doesn't stop people around here. They used to sell fireworks next door to me, but I didn't see the booth in 2021, so hoping they won't be back - not that it stops people from shooting off fireworks, but there was always debris left behind and in my driveway.

Last edited:
Our neighbors put in the effort to burn everything down, starting well in advance, and our chickens do get upset. We just keep everything else as normal as possible to reduce stress and they make it through.
Our dogs pant and shiver, and my mom gets so mad, so I think we have more stress than the birds. 😣😓

What do you do to minimize the stress brought on by fireworks. I'm thinking about bringing my flock to the basement for the night ...
My experience with bringing chickens into the house for the night was disastrous. We had our first really cold night this winter and I decided I'd bring my girls in to the basement for the night. Well, that sent them into total panic and they basically ran frantically around the basement pooping non-stop, and these were chickens that were raised inside for way longer than they should have been due to a coop issue. So they had to go back outside where they happily went to bed, and I learned never to mess with their routine again! My girls do not seem bothered by noise, but then again my son is a drummer so I guess they got used to it early on 😂

Back
Top Bottom