How do you prevent egg-bound? Is not laying for 4 days normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by princess araucana, Apr 24, 2009.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    My girls will be 1 year old in May. They have been laying pretty regularly, every day or every other day.
    Their laying seems to have slowed a bit, but one who was very regular seems to have not layed for almost 4 days.
    Is that OK? Her rump feels full, but I could not tell if there was an egg in there. She is pooping fine.

I've read too many egg-bound horror stories and don't want that to happen! How do you prevent egg bound?

Ok, I just read through what other people had said. I don't seem to have any of the enviro or diet issues so maybe it is just normal dry spell...
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Could she be moulting? I have heard that they don't lay then. Or maybe she is going broody!?
  3. JRT

JRT Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Well around here it's the time of year where we have alot of weather change and ours will go quite a few days without laying and then lay everyday straight for a while. [​IMG]
  4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    since i'm new to chickens i'd like to know too- but with my finches, i have one that tends to egg binding, and i grind up egg shells for them to have if they need it- to ensure enough calcium- not sure if that would work with chickens
  5. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Her and another both lost some feathers on their back, not too many that I would think it was a molt. I thought is was just my roo who's spurs are just starting to come in and he can be a little agressive in the love department.
    Her feathers are all growing in right now, maybe that is enough of a stress?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by