How do you pronounce "Ameraucanas"?

Correct me but for the A to have the long sound doesn't it need 2 N's after it? cana versus canna
pips&peeps :

There is no "e" on the end so the a is short not long.​

Quote:
Um, Ed, you spelled it wrong. It is AmerAUcana.
wink.png

Now I am confused, I always thought that a vowel in order to make the short sound needed an E or a twin/double consonant after it like in the words game and gamma? I looked up bandana and it is spelled both ways bandana and bandanna and one of the sites I looked at said many words are mis-spelled or mis-pronounced when two root words are joined as case in point american and araucana. I do realize that the word in question is spelled many different ways but I believe for it to be pronounced the most popular way it is pronounced it should be spelled the way I originally spelled it. Not to belabor the point but if you pronounce the word ameraucana properly to its spelling it would be pronounced a-mare-awe(au sound) cane-uh. I think someone familiar with real English would tell you that we are mis-pronouncing ameraucana. And for arguments sake type in bandana and hit spell-check and Ameraucana..
Quote:

Nope. Think "bandana." Not "banDAYna." And definitely not Carlos SanTAYna.
smile.png

Quote:
Nope. Think "bandana." Not "banDAYna." And definitely not Carlos SanTAYna.
smile.png

Answer part 1: Ameraucanas were developed from Araucanas. Araucanas come from South America. The pronunciation of Araucana would be based on Spanish linguistics, not English, as would the Ameraucana.

Answer part 2: This is why people who speak Spanish cringe when they hear an English speaker pronounce Spanish based on English linguistics. Example: the word "burrito." Most Americans (Americauns?
big_smile.png
) say "BURR-ee-toe" when the correct pronunciation would be "boo-RREE-toh."

Answer part 3: My name is Ana. It is NOT pronounced AYna.

My banker is from South Wales and she is constantly reminding me that the language Americans ? speak is not English. She says we have too many "slang" words that are not proper english and we combine words and then mis-pronounce them regularly. I will ask her about the word Ameraucana v. Ameracauna and see what she says. My son has taken 5 years of spanish and tells me some words have no translation and therefore are transliterated or something resembling that. Just out of mere curiosity how is Ana different than Anna?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom