How do you properly store duck eggs?

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
One of my hens has just started laying eggs yesterday. I have 2 eggs so far. I wasn’t expecting her to start laying yesterday, so i wasn’t prepared. I’m also new at this, so I have no idea how to properly store duck eggs. I’ve read that refrigerating them isn’t a good idea. I don’t really have any egg cartons at the moment, so how do i go about storing my eggs? I think the one on the left has calcium deposit, but i’m not sure. I found some slimy white stuff on the shell (which you can see next to the egg).
image.jpg

i don’t eat them, sell them, use them in anyway so i could be wrong but i’m pretty sure your suppose to just leave them out on the counter or something and they’ll last longer than they would if refrigerated

I store mine the same way I store chicken and goose eggs -- either in an egg Skelter (a metal contraption that looks a bit like a small circular staircase) -- or in washable plastic egg trays (sold cheaply at Marshall's or TJ Maxx) on the counter. If you don't have either, just set them in a bowl.

It doesn't harm eggs to store them in the fridge, in my opinion, it just isn't necessary.

Clean them before you crack and eat them. Honestly, that's not advice I ALWAYS follow myself; some days I just glance at the shell and crack the egg into the skillet with no clean up. Of course, when I was a kid, we used to grab carrots right out of the garden, wiping them with a sleeve and eating dirt and all. We drank water from a pump in the yard with no filtering at all.

As a result, I may have a Very Strong Immune System, due to the amount of germs and dirt I ingested as a kid. So, I'd suggest you wash your eggs right before you eat them, just in case.

I store mine in egg cartons that friends save for me, and usually I keep mine in the fridge. Though when I run out of room in the fridge (like right now), I just have them sitting in random containers on the counter or the table. I just follow the rule that if they get washed, then they have to go into the fridge.

If you wash them immediately they must be refrigerated and if you don't wash them you can set them out on the counter. Honestly it's a matter of personal preference. I don't collect eggs that have poop or are wet for us to eat only perfectly clean eggs (I don't care about dirt as much). If you don't clean duck eggs properly you can push bacteria into the pores which becomes absorbed into the egg itself. I leave some out on the counter and some in the fridge because I bake a lot. Sometimes I need room temp and sometimes I need cold eggs depending on the recipe. I bought handmade egg trays from someone on Etsy and love them. I run them through the dishwasher once a week, but we go through eggs fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom