How do you sell your eggs?

I've never had to give eggs away, people always offer to pay for them. But I only started out with 6 hens and didn't have many extras at the time. This year we increased to 15 hens and word of mouth still leaves us with people on a waiting list all the time. We are raising up 22 this year and we are raising our price from $2 to $3 for new customers.

Almost all of our customers are people we (me, daughter, husband) work with. So they basically get free delivery. I take in the first dozen for them with an envelope labeled with their name. I actually printed up a little clipart chicken and leave room for a name, address, phone number line on the envelope. I tell them that if they want to be on the egg list all they have to do is put money for the dozen they just received into the envelope and return it to me. When I get the envelope I put it to the back of the pile on the refrigerator clip. When they get to the front of the pile of envelopes they get another dozen. Our regular egg customers almost always have cash ready when I drop the eggs "so I can get right back on the list for next week, pleeeeeaasee?" I've found that even if they don't have correct change for me they will drop by our house within a day and drop their envelope in a basket that we hung next to our front door (pretty secure since we have a huge front porch that we can see from almost anywhere in the house, basket is not visible fromt he street). We have also left eggs in a cooler on the porch for the "less than regular" customers.

I'm lucky to have found someone who runs a cafe in a little nearby resort town. They save all of their egg cartons for us. So I have a regular supply of once-used cartons. I have not found egg customers to be particularly reliable in returning cartons, some do and some don't.

And lastly, we consider it our moral/civic responsibility to pay things forward since we have been so fortunate in our lives. So we make it our goal to give away at least 1 dozen eggs per month right now. We've decided in the Fall to raise that to 2 dozen minimum per month. It is generally someone we know who is down on their luck (just lost their job, unexpected bills), wouldn't normally have availability to farmer's market/incredibly fresh stuff (elderly), done something special for us (co-worker who picked me up when I took the car to the shop), the retired neighbors who are home all day and have to listen to my rooster, the local food bank, ...

I really like your system briteday! It seems like it would work great. We just have six hens, but some weeks they are super productive & I can't possibly use them all. I have only given them away so far, but I did tell my two closest friends I would have to start charging, mostly because the one seemed like she was getting greedy, often offering to "take any extras off your hands" but not offering to pay
sad.png
The other one has pitched in $10-20 every so often to help with feed, etc. So that was nice. I will implement the envelope system with them & a few other people who enjoy the eggs.

I have another friend that usually drives when we drive into Seattle, since she doesn't mind it & I hate it! She loves fresh eggs, so I take her a dozen or two for "gas money"
big_smile.png
I have also given them away when someone does a favor & I've tipped my hair stylist with eggs
lol.png

Quote:
This is exactly what I do, too. I sell 'em at work, by word of mouth. However, there are a couple of special people at work whom I do not charge for any eggs.

I recycle egg cartons, but DO use personalized labels I bought from ADozenGirlz (here on BYC, in the "Everything Else for Sale" section). I highly recommend her work!
41679_egglabel.jpg

At one point we were getting almost 4 dozen eggs a day.... my fridge was packed.....all of my egg buyers are friends or word of mouth. We are only getting 2 dozen a day now and can't keep up with the demand. We get 2.00 a dozen ... have you seen the prices at the store for free range eggs... 3.99 where I am located. Everyone saves egg cartons for us we have tons.

I put a sign in my yard "Fresh Eggs $_____". I have regular customers and a new one every once in a while. I also put a large plastic trash can, with a liner, secured to a post, and wrote on can "Egg Cartons Needed". Alot of people won't eat fresh eggs, but they hate to throw their cartons away, so they place them in can as they drive by. Keeps them from pulling into drive. The sell of my eggs pays for the chicken feed and dog feed with a little left over. It's great. Janet in Mississippi

It always seems that most people don't think they need to charge more for their eggs especially since you can go to the store and buy a dozen for $.99, but what you're getting are eggs that are almost void of nutrition. Those hens are raised sometimes 6 to a cage unable to move around, no natural sunlight, with no life at all. We're all raising birds in our backyards with everything nature intended. You can buy a dozen eggs at the store for $4 that state "free-range", "organic", and "cage-free", but you're still getting a bird raised in a warehouse.

I charge $3/dozen for mine and I can't keep up with everyone. I sell to a nearby retirement community where the residents are on their own they just happen to be over 55yrs old. Word of mouth keeps the customers coming. I also sell by the half dozen and sometimes by the egg. My mother also lives in this community so I sell her the eggs and she resells for the same price to others. I give her a free dozen every time I stop in to visit. There's a sign by the mailboxes asking for empty cartons as well. Sometimes they drop them off at her door so I have more than I currently need, but I won't run out for a while.

woot.gif

they'reHISchickens :

We give our extras to friends and senior citizens who really appreciate home grown eggs. Tonite I dropped off a dozen and the 89 yr old gramma wanted to pay me. I told her she owed me an enjoyment of the eggs! She just glowed... and so did I.
Some things you just can't buy!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom