How do you sex a white pharaoh?

There's one sure way to tell if it's a true mutation or a hybrid - breed four pairs from separate clutches. If all of the chicks look like the parents, it's a genetic mutation. If you get whites and pharaohs, it's a hybrid. A hybrid + a hybrid will never breed true more than 50% of the time. It can't.

Though if it's a white/pharaoh, sounds like a hybrid, since the whites aren't a double recessive but a masked autosumnal dominant.

-Spooky

Huh, that's a lot more genetics talk that I come even close to understanding,
smile.png
Still, I noticed some reddish feathers coming in on one of my brown coturnix, so apparently I do have at least one boy, and I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens with the white. They're really cute and fun and getting so huge! I can hardly believe they're only three weeks old.

I finally finished the coop (at least I have two pens, the run isn't quite done,and the electrical isn't hooked up, we're still running power cords from the house 150 feet away, but that'll be done soon.) and so I'll be building my pen for the bobwhites in there soon. *sigh* I don't know if I can stand too much more building this fall. I still have Christmas lights and decorations to put up, and my laptop bit the dust last week--the hard drive is toast, and I have work on there I have to recreate. Now, if only I weren't stupid and had backed it all up.

Back
Top Bottom