How do you ship hatching eggs?

Quote:
smile.png
"Eggs For Hatching" would be less confusing for the postal workers that actually read what's written on the box.

I like to wrap each egg in a 6"x12" piece of little bubble bubble-wrap (like you are wrapping a burrito).
Then wrap those in a layer or 2 of big bubble bubble-wrap.
Less than 2 doz go in an 11"x9"x6" box, more than that go in a 12"x12"x8" (#7) box --- with whatever 'filler' I have available.

Shipping for a doz bantam eggs can cost as little as $5.30 for Priority Mail and if you use usps 'click and ship' or the 'paypal link' delivery confirmation is free.

If you go to the usps website you can order shipping boxes at no charge and have them delivered right to your door
smile.png

I've never rec'd eggs packed any way in an egg carton that were all intact. Just my bad luck.

Good luck with your guinea eggs. I have a friend that just LOVES guins! Maybe I can surprise her with some chicks (keets?) later this year
wink.png

Lisa

Looks like really good advise. The only thing I have to add is that you can get actual postage cost at USPS.com if you know how much the package weights. Sometimes it cost less to mail package by weight than the flat rate box. Generally, if you are mailing to places closer to you then it is cheaper to ship regular priority than flat rate.

Quote:
Minpin,
Do you mean aluminum foil? Reynolds Wrap?

Why would you do that?

Thanks,
Lisa

That protects them in case the Post Office x-rays the eggs. The foil will reflect the rays and not harm the eggs. Just something I picked up along the way in life.
tongue.png

Quote:
Minpin,
Do you mean aluminum foil? Reynolds Wrap?

Why would you do that?

Thanks,
Lisa

That protects them in case the Post Office x-rays the eggs. The foil will reflect the rays and not harm the eggs. Just something I picked up along the way in life.
tongue.png

Really??!!! No way!! Now that is a sweet trick!

Lisa, I just use the cartons to keep the eggs from moving around--I cut the tops off and then use the two pieces to snug the eggs in. I individually bubble wrap each one. I use the perforated bubble wrap from Staples--it comes apart into 12" squares and then I cut those in half to get a 6" X 12" piece--I'm pretty sure I got my egg wrapping "technique" from one of your posts!!
wink.png
So far, knock on wood, I've never had an egg break shipping this way!!

Just wanted to say a Thank you to all in this post. It was very handy to read cuz I was wondering the same thing and though I might have to order some eggs first to figure it out.

I reuse couch foam to ship eggs. Cut it to fit box then cut in half and hollow out stops for the eggs then hollow out the top piece for the top of the egg. Have yet to have one break.

Kasi

Back
Top Bottom