How do you stop a cat from jumping on things?

Will she start being scared if me or she knows that if she goes there, I'm gonna spray water?
Nah, she should recognize it is a redirection. You should say something like "No, stop, dont" everytime you spray it. Whatever command you would normally use to correct her. That way she is associating it with correcting her and not abusing her. I've done it with 5-6 cats and in general it's a pretty old method. It's pretty harmless, and worse case she gets a wet spot for 20 minutes.

We gave up trying to train our cats to not jump on the kitchen counter and table. They pretty much own the house....we just live there and pay the mortgage. :lau We can't even have a Christmas tree this year because they climb it and knock off all the ornaments. It's a good thing they are cute.

Unfortunately, the spray bottle only works while you are there. When you are not home, all bets are off. You need to put something unpleasant on the counter which will work even when you are not there. Some ideas are a can of pennies that can be knocked off and scare them, a bunch of crumpled aluminum foil....google some of the cat sites for more ideas.

I have outdoor cats, strays do much better when they're outside. As long as you have a good yard, a collar on your cat (depends if you're in a more populated town) or just having her microchipped, sometimes collars aren't good for outside cats. My oldest cat is 15, she has never been attacked by anything. Neither has any of my other cats I own.

Back
Top Bottom