How do you store all of you feed?

Quote:
Those are probably your best bet, since you have so many kinds of food to store.
I know Walmart had some of those a couple of months back, at least the one in my town did. Not sure if the prices would be cheaper for you or not.

I use metal cans, like smaller sized trash cans for some.
Then I use tall plastic bins on wheels so that I can wheel the whole thing outside to fill up my feeders.
I don't want to have to take down the hanging feeders every time I refill them, so its easier for me to wheel the bin outside and make my rounds.
The big metal containers are good, if you have alot of bulk stuff.
I keep stuff stored in them and transfer it over when the plastic bin runs low.

I use the same wheeled pet food bin on this page, but Walmart also sells them.
http://www.containerstore.com/search/searchresults.jhtml?search=dog+food+containers&x=2&y=8

Meant to say that I am going to be stocking up for the winter and buying in bulk.
So I am going to go out and get those 5 gallon buckets that stores give away for free.
Bakeries and supermarkets get their ingredients delivered in them and they throw them away.
You can get them for free. Someone on Sufficient Self mentioned it a couple of weeks ago.
If they don't have the covers you can buy them.
They stack nicely so they don't take up alot of room and the covers are airtight. They should keep the moisture and the rodents out nicely.
I posted a link to a place where you can purchase the covers to fit them, I am sure there are other places as well.
Also, this company sells the buckets in all sizes and they come in 5 packs.
The prices vary depending on size but you can get 5 buckets for around $30-$35.
I think even if you can't get the buckets for free, these are a good deal.
You can stack them up and write the contents across the front of them.
Or if you buy these ones they come in different colors so you could color code your foods.
These are great for using for bulk flours, wheat, grains, etc.
I am glad I saw this thread because it reminded me to get on this soon, winter is coming...... so much to do!!

http://www.pyrosupplies.com/shop/page/category/Category/904337e061b775609fe74f04d336b4f8.html

Edited to add this cool dispenser. If you have a shed or storage room you could line these up across it. Or maybe put them right in the coop. Now theres an idea............
http://www.pyrosupplies.com/shop/page/product_detail/Product/6316748b1e1cef879aefcacd25787e87.html

Last edited:
Quote:
Get a cat. I have 2 cats and they are the best hunters. They always leave me little surprises for when I go outside in the morning and I haven't noticed any rodent problems at all. They work for cheap! lol

I have 2 non working freezers in my barn. I keep my horse feed in it and it stays warm enough in the winter to not get hard and cool enough in the summer to not mold. Chicken feed is in trash cans in the barn. Dog food is in a plastic bin in the house.

Back
Top Bottom