How do you store all of you feed?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hoover67, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    I am overwhelmed with animal feed! :eek: I am trying to find a solution for storing all of our feed in our garage.... dog, cat, fish, bird seed, finch seed, gamebird feed, chicken feed!

How do you store it? I was looking at these for our bigger feeds and the smaller size for the smaller feed. Does anyone have any suggestions? (I hate to think of the costs of these feeds!!!! I really want something that will not take up so much floor space. I thought that these would stack.

http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Stack-...4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1221495486&sr=8-4

Bergan Stack-n-Stor 100 Food Storage and Dispenser

Thanks!
    Please don't tell my neighbors that we have so many animals!!!

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    we store our animal feed in our animals, mostly![​IMG]

i have some of those stack-n-stores. they are okay. mostly i use rubbermaid tubs for everything. tighter seal.
    it really depends how fast you go through the feeds. the stack-n-stores store moisture!

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Those seem expensive. I got plactic garbage cans with lids of course for my bird seed and chicken feed.

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Plastic Garbage cans for me also.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I use trash cans with tight fitting lids. They are perfect for 50 lb bags of feed! For the smaller portions of feed I buy(like for my rabbits) I use the square rubbermaids because they are stackable.

6. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    I use 5 gallon buckets with lids. I keep one in the coop, and when I need another, I grab another from the shed. Keeps the mice out too.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I use 10 gallon metal garbage cans. Racoons can chew through the plastic ones. I also found 55 Gal food grade barrels that I store the bulk stuff. I found Purnia Flock Raiser and Layena really cheap at the CO-OP in Brighton, CO. We're talking $2.70 cheaper than the cheap feed store that sells it for about $3.00 cheaper than the big farm store. Plus they give another 2% off if you buy 10+ bags. So we stock up when we get down that way so I store that in the 55 gal drums.

BTW, got the drums for $10 each from a honey producer. Killer deal.

8. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Our outside dog food is kept in galvanized trash cans. Inside, dog food is kept in a metal trash can with a foot pedal. Scratch and laying crumbles is kept in a plastic container w/casters and sealing hinged lid. Sunflower seeds and bird feeds are kept in 5 gallon buckets with lids.

9. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Raccoons eat through plastic cans here and can pretty easily open the tops. We use various sizes of galvanized metal cans. We store the goat's hay on a shelf in their shed. They can reach the edges but cannot eat too much of it.

10. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    You might chceck your local walmart, the walmart close to me has ones very similair that are A LOT cheaper they are over by the hampers. I was thinking about using these as nest boxes before I got my big 6 hole box. I know that ACE hardware also carries these or another brand and they are cheaper, I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by