How do you store eggs?

@GC-Raptor makes an important point, it's not just about storing eggs, but rotating eggs, you want to be sure you know which are the oldest and which are the newest so that the oldest eggs are consumed first; having a system in place allows you to do this without too much thought. I also keep the oldest eggs on the top shelf and cook from the top carton first in my home. Eggs on the bottom shelf are newest & also the ones I pick from when I sell some.

I was wondering the same thing as I have ten sweeties just now beginning their egg-laying cycle and knew I would have many, many eggs to contend with soon. As @gtaus put up the same YouTube video I have seen, there is a difference between water glass preservation, which is a solution of sodium silicate (1900's era) and is named because silicate is the primary component of glass...hence, the name water glass...and slaked lime (1800's era) which is ash from burnt calcium hydroxide which is actually a natural compound. Both work and are truly amazing! I will be trying the slaked lime method as it is an alkaline solution that is natural (eggs and shell are alkaline so there is no biological competition) and will not penetrate the eggshell and gives the best results to a well-formed egg after preservation. The video @ gtaus put forward is the original slaked lime procedure...it is authentic....other videos will steer you to water glass which is a clear solution of sodium silicate to be added into water. Chemistry is at work here...eggshells, as we know, are calcium carbonate... an alkaline-based system. By submersing an already alkaline-based system into an alkaline-based solution, there is no competition between the two systems. Therefore, you have a homeostasis system for preservation. No infiltration into the egg. I just need to disclose I have a degree in Chemistry from U of Indianapolis and have worked at Eli Lilly & Co. So, I have looked into this matter and have read & studied the various forms of egg preservation and will be going with the hydrated lime preservation because the outcomes, as well as the science, points to successful outcomes.

Last edited:
there is a difference between water glass preservation, which is a solution of sodium silicate (1900's era) and is named because silicate is the primary component of glass...hence, the name water glass...and slaked lime (1800's era) which is ash from burnt calcium hydroxide which is actually a natural compound. Both work and are truly amazing!

I am still waiting for my first egg, however, I can foresee the day that my wife and I are getting far too many eggs daily from my 10 hens and will have to either give them away, or store them. I am thinking about using the method in the YouTube video I linked, because, as I understand it, you don't have to have all the eggs ready at one time. You basically make the solution and add your extra eggs when you get them over weeks or months. Then you use the eggs up in the winter months when the chickens are not laying.

I was not aware that there are two different approaches to this process. Thank you for detailing that in your eggcellent post.

Back
Top Bottom