How do you store root veggies?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Michigan Chickman, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    The good news is we have an abundance of beets and turnips. The bad news is I'm not sure how to best store them so they don't go to waste.

I've read that you can store them in sawdust. I don't have sawdust, but I have a ton of pine shavings. Will they work? Does anyone have a storage secret they'd be willing to share? [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My father-in-law has a lot of turnips he's storing in sand with a little moisture in it. He has them in the basement and all covered in sand, except the top layer. The top layer of turnips has started to sprout [​IMG]

3. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:+1

Sawdust will absorb ambient moisture and cause all sorts of problems. Sand works well.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  4. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    I was under the impression that these were cold season root vegies right? That being the case couldnt you just leave them in the ground? Maybe put the pine shaving on top of the soil? Here the frostline extends to 36" so it prob wouldnt work for us but it might for you. But that is what I always thought. Maybe try it with one row? Have you canned any yet? I love pickled beets.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I plan on leaving my parsnips in the ground and mulch them. I might pull some too and see how they do in sand.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    We have an unheated sunporch, which is charming for about seven or eight months of the year - and the rest of the time, it stays right around freezing, and is great for extra storage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by