How do you store root veggies?

Michigan Chickman

Songster
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
SW Michigan
The good news is we have an abundance of beets and turnips. The bad news is I'm not sure how to best store them so they don't go to waste.

I've read that you can store them in sawdust. I don't have sawdust, but I have a ton of pine shavings. Will they work? Does anyone have a storage secret they'd be willing to share?
smile.png

My father-in-law has a lot of turnips he's storing in sand with a little moisture in it. He has them in the basement and all covered in sand, except the top layer. The top layer of turnips has started to sprout
sad.png

I was under the impression that these were cold season root vegies right? That being the case couldnt you just leave them in the ground? Maybe put the pine shaving on top of the soil? Here the frostline extends to 36" so it prob wouldnt work for us but it might for you. But that is what I always thought. Maybe try it with one row? Have you canned any yet? I love pickled beets.

Last edited:
We have an unheated sunporch, which is charming for about seven or eight months of the year - and the rest of the time, it stays right around freezing, and is great for extra storage.

Back
Top Bottom