How Do You Store Your Chicken Supplies?

Petermariah

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
My supplies are all spread out I have some things in the garage and some in my kitchen and some just next to the chicken coop. I’m thinking about a garden storage cabinet to hold it all and put it right next to the run for easy access. I have feed, grain, oyster shell, DE, PDZ, treats, extra waterers, 2 small child size rakes, a few buckets, paint scraper and dustpan for cleaning poo. Then I have booster, hydro hen and chicken first aid stuff. I’m also curious are there certain things that I cannot keep outside in the heat like first aid items or vitamins. Looking for ideas my fun hobby is starting to get messy!

We have an older Craftsman plastic shed that works great. We put it on a layer of bricks on the north side of our house. Bricks for snow/rain melt off, north side so the summer sun won't bake the feed inside.

Inside, we have a folding heavy duty plastic table to create a shelf for extra space. Containers on the table left to right are: mealworms, scratch grains, layer feed, each with scoops inside. There are also bags of oyster shell and coop refresher. The table keeps them at a good working height. Under the table are containers for wild bird feed and a few assorted tools. On the left is room for unopened sacks of feed or wild bird seed, and the plastic shed has no gaps big enough for rodents.

The roof does not leak - anything that looks damp was caused by me fetching stuff out of there during a snow storm.

Anything medical or first aid we keep together inside the house.

20210130_125112.jpg

20210130_125124.jpg

20210130_125205.jpg

20210130_125209.jpg

IDK but pretty sure medicine and such would melt outside. You should probably keep it wherever you store human medication too or near where you quarenteine hurt and sick chickens for easy access, (if that's in your house or air-conditioned and such). You should definately keep food in a secure container predators can't get in, inside whatever structure you keep it in for 2 layers of protection. We used to use hard plastic secure containers got at tractor supply, I suppose this wouldn't deter the most determined of predators and scavengers, but it worked for us. Anything else you can store just about anywhere I think and having a storage shed just for chickens is a good idea if you have alot of stuff for chickens.

I’m also curious are there certain things that I cannot keep outside in the heat like first aid items or vitamins.
Definitely keep those things inside the house in a cool, dark place.

My coop is in a large shed so I can keep most everything else out there.
Feed and scratch is in a metal garbage can to deter the mouses.

That looks real handy! How long did it take to build/put together?
I honestly don't remember. We've had that one for years, but as storage for gardening tools. It used to be on the left next to the big shed. When we decided to turn it into a chicken supply shed, we moved it over by the chimney, and bought a new slightly larger small shed for the garden tools :)

The replacement garden tool shed on the left took several hours split over a Saturday and Sunday to assemble, and didn't go together as easily as I remembered the Craftsman one was...the new shed is Rubbermaid, and still a good shed, but the roof assembly was a PIA.

20210130_131318.jpg

We have an older Craftsman plastic shed that works great. We put it on a layer of bricks on the north side of our house. Bricks for snow/rain melt off, north side so the summer sun won't bake the feed inside.

Inside, we have a folding heavy duty plastic table to create a shelf for extra space. Containers on the table left to right are: mealworms, scratch grains, layer feed, each with scoops inside. There are also bags of oyster shell and coop refresher. The table keeps them at a good working height. Under the table are containers for wild bird feed and a few assorted tools. On the left is room for unopened sacks of feed or wild bird seed, and the plastic shed has no gaps big enough for rodents.

The roof does not leak - anything that looks damp was caused by me fetching stuff out of there during a snow storm.

Anything medical or first aid we keep together inside the house.

View attachment 2509359
View attachment 2509364
View attachment 2509361

View attachment 2509363
That looks real handy! How long did it take to build/put together?

I honestly don't remember. We've had that one for years, but as storage for gardening tools. It used to be on the left next to the big shed. When we decided to turn it into a chicken supply shed, we moved it over by the chimney, and bought a new slightly larger small shed for the garden tools :)

The replacement garden tool shed on the left took several hours split over a Saturday and Sunday to assemble, and didn't go together as easily as I remembered the Craftsman one was...the new shed is Rubbermaid, and still a good shed, but the roof assembly was a PIA.

View attachment 2509386
Thanks for your reply! It's always good to reuse what you already have, and it certainly seems to be a handy thing for the chickens! Oof the roof was pretty difficult then I suppose.

Thanks for your reply! It's always good to reuse what you already have, and it certainly seems to be a handy thing for the chickens! Oof the roof was pretty difficult then I suppose.
The assembly of the roofs on the Craftsman and on the large shed in back (closest to the gate) were much easier. Flat pieces laid down first, then the cap at the ridgeline, and they're still watertight after all these years. The Rubbermaid required wedging a metal ridge in first between the two gables that were already in place, then sliding, lifting (above horizontal) and much cursing to get the flat pieces in proper position into the edges of that ridge/roof cap/whatever. Then pounding the crap out of everything with a rubber mallet. It got done, but not as easy as the other two :D

Back
Top Bottom