How do YOU store your eggs?

So I think I know the basics (and I mean very basic) methods for storing eggs.

To wash or not to wash? I think a lot of people ask that question. Do you store yours in the fridge? On the counter? In a little basket? In a jar?

I want to know what has worked best for you and why!

As an American, our grocery store eggs are all washed per government regulation (I'm pretty sure). But I have heard that some countries like Japan don't require washing and so their eggs are much safer to eat raw when it's called for that particular recipe (think a genuine Omurice or Oyakodon). I want to know best practices for safe to eat eggs and if someone plans to sell those unwashed eggs, what's the SOP?

So let's see it! I'd love to see your set ups too :)
My routine is I collect the eggs, most are clean sometimes some are dirty. I take the eggs from the coop and place them in a outside fridge ( in garage) usually within 3-4 weeks I wash every one and place in clean cartons. put them back in fridge until they are used ( I supply all 4 of my kids and family with eggs). so far this has worked out great. If I get overloaded with eggs, I start to give them to extended family or I freeze dry them when I have 72 eggs that need to be used up! Then they are good for 25 years! (food storage)

My routine is I collect the eggs, most are clean sometimes some are dirty. I take the eggs from the coop and place them in a outside fridge ( in garage) usually within 3-4 weeks I wash every one and place in clean cartons. put them back in fridge until they are used ( I supply all 4 of my kids and family with eggs). so far this has worked out great. If I get overloaded with eggs, I start to give them to extended family or I freeze dry them when I have 72 eggs that need to be used up! Then they are good for 25 years! (food storage)
How do you freeze dry eggs?!?

I’d like to see this older thread resurrected too. I gather the eggs every afternoon (when the ladies are done ‘paying their rent’, and put them directly in the fridge, unwashed. I wasn’t raised on a farm, chickens is a fairly new adventure for us, so my brain is still stuck on store-bought rules.
If the eggs are dirty, we just brush them off.

I saw a video that the homesteader said that if a hen lays an egg that has feces on it, it means she has worms. I don’t know if its true……

whoa!

that can’t be right.

why so hot?
Because we dont have anything but a tiny and I mean tiny window air unit. Our house is 1400sq and the unit is rated for 150sqft. We are what most people call poor or hillbilly or white trash take your pick. We try to keep our electric bill as small as possible. We also heat 100% with wood and have no other source of heat. Welcome to the Ozarks.

Because we dont have anything but a tiny and I mean tiny window air unit. Our house is 1400sq and the unit is rated for 150sqft. We are what most people call poor or hillbilly or white trash take your pick. We try to keep our electric bill as small as possible. We also heat 100% with wood and have no other source of heat. Welcome to the Ozarks.
christ. that’s wild.

props to you for owning it though.

i don’t think you and i could be further apart here haha

maybe you come up here. we might be more
comfortable with two 5 ton air handlers keeping the house at a comfortable 68*

bring the sweet tea tho!
Directly quoted from wiki:
Hillbilly is a term (often derogatory) for people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas in the United States, primarily in southern Appalachia and the Ozarks.
You don't want me messing up your property value.

Back
Top Bottom