How do YOU store your eggs?

Pics
We keep up to 4 dozen on the counter. I generally don’t wash them unless they are dirty. Room temp is 65-72F. We’ll FIFO them so we use the oldest first. They generally do t last much more than a week or so…I don’t really keep track. I go through 14 and my girlfriend about 6 (so 20 a week). Birds lay maybe 4 dozen? We give the extras to neighbors and the dogs love the one odd one as a treat.

View attachment 3191782

The gravity roll for looks and quick access to the eggs we cook with. The trays on the right are super low profile and stackable when empty... We have 4 but only 2 are stacked there. (I found them on Amazon, highly recommend them if your egg count varies over time and you want expandable storage)

We normally have several eggs dozen on hand but i am about to clean everything so they're almost empty.

We don't wash our eggs, and we leave them on the counter. If we get overloaded we make something or give them away.
How many does the rack hold?

How many does the rack hold?
Mine holds roughly 20 eggs. The brown eggs in the one pic are extra large eggs. Probably 19 eggs on the all-brown-eggs pic.

I put fresh eggs in the skelter. Once the skelter is full, I wash them in warm water and put them in the refrig.

Attachments

• full skelter lo res.jpg
    full skelter lo res.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 3
  • skelter mar 23 lo res.jpg
    skelter mar 23 lo res.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 3

Any that are clean enough, and undamaged go on the counter. Any that have been cleaned go in a carton the fridge as well as any with a hairline fracture. (pretty sure I’ve solved that issue by putting in better bedding)

We cook up the cracked eggs for the hens within 24 hours, the washed eggs in the fridge are what we use first for humans, then the unwashed/counter eggs. (They get washed directly before use.)

If we ever get so behind on eating the counter eggs that the rack is full, I have two more matching layers for the rack to put them in the fridge. and we’ll just put all new eggs there until the counter supply has run out.

Fresh unwashed eggs that are put straight in the fridge can last for months.

Mine holds roughly 20 eggs. The brown eggs in the one pic are extra large eggs. Probably 19 eggs on the all-brown-eggs pic.

I put fresh eggs in the skelter. Once the skelter is full, I wash them in warm water and put them in the refrig.
We just got one of those from Amazon. I like how the oldest eggs will be at the bottom of the skelter. When all six of our Wyandottes start laying, I don't expect to see more than 24 eggs a week. Once the skelter gets full, we will wash and pack the oldest eggs in a carton then refrigerate. With just my wife and I living here, our average egg consumption is probably 12 to 16 eggs a week, but it varies.

A friend told me unwashed eggs can sit on the counter and still be good for SIX MONTHS. Is this true? I find this terrifying. I'd be afaid I'd have eggs exploding if I tried that ... she laughs at me for washing eggs. Perhaps I wouldn't feel compelled to wash them if I had nice roll-out nests. But I don't. Sometimes the eggs come out poopy. Or even yolky, if an egg breaks, gets pecked or ends up in a nest with a messy, shell-less egg (not often, but has been known to happen). I wash mine just before I sell or use them. My customers don't want to open a carton and see chicken doo on their breakfast.

IMO, the only reason NOT to wash eggs is if you plan to hatch them under a hen. In that environment the egg needs all the protection it can get, so definitely leave the cuticle intact. However, in the clean environment of my refrigerator, in a clean carton, the egg does not need the cuticle to protect it. So I wash my eggs snd refrigerate them.

A friend told me unwashed eggs can sit on the counter and still be good for SIX MONTHS. Is this true? I find this terrifying. I'd be afaid I'd have eggs exploding if I tried that ... she laughs at me for washing eggs. Perhaps I wouldn't feel compelled to wash them if I had nice roll-out nests. But I don't. Sometimes the eggs come out poopy. Or even yolky, if an egg breaks, gets pecked or ends up in a nest with a messy, shell-less egg (not often, but has been known to happen). I wash mine just before I sell or use them. My customers don't want to open a carton and see chicken doo on their breakfast.

IMO, the only reason NOT to wash eggs is if you plan to hatch them under a hen. In that environment the egg needs all the protection it can get, so definitely leave the cuticle intact. However, in the clean environment of my refrigerator, in a clean carton, the egg does not need the cuticle to protect it. So I wash my eggs snd refrigerate them.
I can see why, in your situation, you'd want to wash your eggs right away. With our roll away nestbox with Turf, the eggs look clean 99% of the time. A few posts above, you can see our eggs in the skelter that are all unwashed and came straight from the nestbox.

On those rare occasions where we get a poopy egg, I'll wash it in warm water & then either eat it fresh or refrigerate.

I can see why, in your situation, you'd want to wash your eggs right away. With our roll away nestbox with Turf, the eggs look clean 99% of the time. A few posts above, you can see our eggs in the skelter that are all unwashed and came straight from the nestbox.

On those rare occasions where we get a poopy egg, I'll wash it in warm water & then either eat it fresh or refrigerate.
Mine are mostly clean bc our nests are mostly clean. Sometimes a few hens will lay their eggs in odd places like on the floor ... I have a lady friend who gives me two to four dozen eggs a week. Hers definitely need washed. I either sell my surplus or donate to the Bread Shed. ... I want to be sure nobody's going to get sick from eating a dirty egg.

Back
Top Bottom