How do you tame a duck?

BrianS

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Missouri
I got my girl 2 ducklings a month or 2 ago and they are wild as a March hair lol. My chickens will let you pick them up and follow you around but these ducks wont. Any of you had luck in taming a duck?

What breed did you get? Different breeds have much different personality types.

My Welsh Harlequins are easy to p ick up but they still don't like it. They get really close to you and eat out of your hand and are very friendly. I don't think my runner has ever gotten closer than 2 feet to me on purpose
tongue.png

I hand raised my ducklings from day olds and they are totally scared of me
barnie.gif
one is a silver swede and the other two are Cayugas. My swede is by far the friendliest though. I guess it really does depend on the breed. They are all slooowly but surely warming up to me
woot.gif
The best way to make them more comfortable around you, as I have learned, is just sitting around them quietly, not trying to hold them, and maybe even feed them some treats. It's funny because I also rescued three ducks (runner and two buffs) and one of the buffs is so friendly, even though the start of her life wasn't the best... I think it's because she is older and appreciates me because I saved her
big_smile.png
Good luck with your duckies
thumbsup.gif

I got 'em at the local farmer market and were sold as Mallards. I assume they are domesticated Mallards

Quote:
I have reached the conclusion that chickens make much better "friends" LOL
These ducks might be going into the oven if they dont straighten up LOLOL

LOL

As long as they aren't going to waste.

From what I have read on BYC, chickens are more like dogs. Ducks seem to be more like cats. Since I am already the slave to 3 cats, I have no trouble also serving 6 ducks
tongue.png

So far my little ducklings are friendlier than any day old chick I have ever had. They are 3 or 4 days old now and let us handle them and even follow my 15 year old around. Maybe it's because we hatched them from eggs and they imprinted on us?

That could be. The ducks I hatched out were friendly. But my Welsh Harlequins are even friendlier despite coming from a hatchery. Breed does make a big difference.

If I have a bag of peas my ducks become your best friend...Still dont like to be picked up..You have to grab one whens its not looking if you want to hold them...Mallards from day old babies and crested,and pekin...

Back
Top Bottom