How do you tape toes? Is that what I need to do?

EquestrianGal

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
So, I obviously had humidity issues during this hatch (tough membranes, etc). Still, we had at least a 50% hatch rate (I don't know for sure that all were viable from the beginning--some were easter eggs that I just couldn't candle well and those didn't hatch, and some others were a day behind so I haven't given up on them yet). Not what I was hoping for, but I guess not terrible for my first incubation.

Anyway, I have two chicks that don't want to stand up. They are sitting back on their hocks. Is this a toe/foot issue or an ankle issue? I have found a lot of info telling me to tape--but haven't come across pictures or descriptions of how to tape. They are only 6 & 12 hours old right now, so I have time to correct if correction is possible. .

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Maybe put under emergencies instead. I hope you get someone that can help
hmm.png

I don't know if these pics will help. I cut a bandaid in half (lengthwise), put the white part between the legs, and wrap the sticky part around each leg. It may take them a little bit to get balanced. to take it off, just rub baby oil on it.

24456_chick_bandaid_1.jpg

24456_chick_bandaid_2.jpg

Quote:
I hatched a chick that did that same hing of sitting back on it's lhocks, but after 24 hours or so it was walking fine all on it's own. I know the band aid method works well to correct spraddle leg, if that is what is wrong with your chicks....can't hurt to try it for a day or two and see if the chicks improve. Do you have any pictures of the chicks yet?

on closer inspection, we had two different issues on the two chicks. One had her back toes curled under her feet. We put bandaids on them to kind of force those toes back. It seems to be helping, but not full improvement yet. She still wants to walk on her hocks some. Hoping that will improve.

The other chick just had one front toe curled up under her left foot. We used a bandaid on that chick also and she seems to be doing great!

Huge learning curve with this batch of eggs/chicks.

I was just about to post that the taping thing is different for spraddle legs versus curled toes - glad you figured it out! I had a chick that had both a few months ago. I did my best, then sent it off with the woman I had actually hatched it for. It didn't make it. Now I have one with very curled toes, but it was hatched under a broody. I know it's humid in Florida, but that can't be the cause in this case. I also read that sometimes it is a vitamin deficiency, so I gave mine poly-visol infant vitamins (without iron). I did that first, but when the toes didn't uncurl on their own after two days, I taped them down:

52854_chick_shoes_003.jpg

You can see how happy my gimpy chick is about wearing shoes.......
sad.png

that pictures cracks me up!!

I am trying to figure out if my chick with the back toes curled under is ALSO spraddle legged. I have had chickens for 3 years (and guineas a year before that), but this is our first incubation.

Back
Top Bottom