1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

how do you tell rhode island red pullets a apart?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rhode island red king, Dec 20, 2010.

1. rhode island red king

rhode island red king In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    ky
    how do you tell rhode island red pullets a apart?

2. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Songster

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Good question. I can only tell my Frenchi, because I think she is a Production Red & not a RIR. She's alot lighter than the others.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Sometimes size...but leg bands are the only sure way. All mine look so much alike I can't tell any of them apart except the one that keeps a slightly poopy butt. I have put different colored zip ties on mine. On the RIR's they are on the right leg, the BO's on the left leg.

4. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Songster

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    for me it's the feather patterns around the neck, the sounds they make and the facial structure. It takes a second sometimes but I generally know who's who.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The main way I tell mine apart is by their combs. Each one is unique. This only works though when they're older and have developed a sizeable comb...

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Me, too. I generally don't name new birds until their second year with us anyway and by that time they have developed their own comb patterns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by