How Do You Tell The Difference Between Ameraucanas & EEs?

If you didn't go to great length and great expense to track down an Ameraucana breeder and buy chickens or hatching eggs, then you have Easter Eggers.
smile.png

Also, Easter Eggers are the greatest "breed" of chicken on earth!
smile.png

That subject has been discussed probably more than any other and there are numerous threads about it. Use the Search feature and spend a weekend reading because it will take that long.
This webpage will tell you the difference. http://creefarm.fateback.com/ameraucana.html

And
beards and muffs go together, usually. The muffs are the little feathers that stick out to the sides on their "cheeks" just below the eyes. The beard is, well, where a beard would be. Tufts are what Araucanas have and differ from muffs, though they come out from the same area of the face. If you go to hinkjc's website, you will see pictures of Araucanas, which really look nothing like Ameraucanas nor Easter Eggers.

Easter Eggers, being mixed, may have any color leg, any color plumage, any color eye, and may be bearded and muffed or be clean-faced. Just about anything goes. I have both Easter Eggers and true Ameraucanas and enjoy them both.

I purchased my two EEs on a whim at the Amish community sale in Delano, where they were sold as "Araucana The Blue Egg Layers". I didn't think the Amish would lie, but...
hu.gif

I had never considered getting any of the tinted egger breeds, but when I first saw "Amy" in her cage at eye-level, she gave me the BEST stinkeye I have seen before and since...and I immediately fell in love. She still is the queen of stinkeye, visitors to my house won't go near her simply because she looks so intimidating. She is scarier than all of my 3 dogs, despite being a sweet cuddler who likes climbing in your lap for petting & mealworms.

These two EEs have set off my obsession for the "perfect blue egg" and I just want to make sure I don't pay $10 for a $3 chick. After all, if you can't trust the Amish, who can you trust?
wink.png

And a note to the Ameraucana Police...I am INNOCENT, I swear I have never seen that chicken before in my life! I was just holding it for a friend!
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I am sure that they did not know, hatcherys are very misleading because thats what they sell them as.

That is what I figured. I went to the Amish because I was looking for some heritage breeds...imagine my surprise when I found Cochins, "Araucanas", Silkies, Sex Links, etc. Kinda weird...I was looking for TRUE Dominiques, but it was more like looking through a hatchery catalog.

Quote:
Araucanas are rumpless so that was the first red flag! Amish do alot of what we do and don't do. Like their kids sell drugs , etc etc. So just because someone is of a certain faith really means nothing.

I would find a breeder and get them from them. Eggs will run ya some $$$ as well as chicks but you will get that blue egg!!! Cause real ameraucanas lay blue eggs not green!!! I would read the link speckledhen gave you to educate yourself for when you do purchase them.

I have both EE's and Ameraucanas and i love them equally
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom