How do you tell the difference between Hedemora eggs and Faverolle eggs

Since both breeds lay pretty similar looking eggs, you’ll probably be able to tell better from the birds themselves. Look for who has the reddest combs and waddles, and you can do butt checks on your girls to see who’s more likely to be laying. There’s two pointed bones, one on either side of the vent that you want to feel for. If they’re wider apart, usually 3 finger widths apart, that’s an indicator that hen could be laying. This can take some practice to get the hang of, though. Otherwise, check the nests often to see who’s going in and out of them. That’s usually how I tell when egg color doesn’t help.

Since both breeds lay pretty similar looking eggs, you’ll probably be able to tell better from the birds themselves. Look for who has the reddest combs and waddles, and you can do butt checks on your girls to see who’s more likely to be laying. There’s two pointed bones, one on either side of the vent that you want to feel for. If they’re wider apart, usually 3 finger widths apart, that’s an indicator that hen could be laying. This can take some practice to get the hang of, though. Otherwise, check the nests often to see who’s going in and out of them. That’s usually how I tell when egg color doesn’t help.
Thank you for the reply. It was on the floor not in the nest box but I’m trying to teach them ;)
I think it was the Faverolle she has been squatting a lot lately but the Hedemora has a red comb and is a week older so I’m not sure...

Back
Top Bottom