How do you tell the difference in chicken and duck eggs (both white)?

Carwile Chicks

Songster
Dec 16, 2020
Hi all!
Doing a little research on duck and chicken selection for my flock. If both chicken and duck varieties lay white eggs, how do you tell them apart?

Thanks!

Size. Duck eggs are much larger than chicken eggs. I've also noticed that the appears of duck eggs is a little different, but I can't describe it since it's been a while since I've actually had ducks that laid. You should also be able to tell who laid what by the location you find the eggs in. Chickens like to use nesting boxes. Ducks on the other hand, like to lay in the middle of the run unless they're interested in hatching.

Duck eggs look waxy compared to a chicken egg.

What @SilverBirds says is true except for Muscovies, or maybe it’s extra true for Muscovies… Mine always laid in a nest and always went broody after about a month of laying. Mallard type ducks are (usually) less broody and will lay wherever they happen to be when the egg is ready.

Here’s a duck egg and a chicken egg :).

Duck eggs will usually be on the ground in a corner, perhaps buried under some bedding. Chickens eggs will most likely be in the nesting box. Also, ducks generally lay in the early morning, before dawn, whereas chickens can lay anywhere from later morning to late afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_4666.jpeg
    IMG_4666.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom