How do you tell the difference ?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by silkie33, Aug 20, 2011.

1. silkie33

silkie33 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Carthage,N.Y.
    What are the differences in the way a Java and IB chick looks? What would a Spalding vs IB chick look like? Does anyone have any pictures to compare? Thanks

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Green peachicks or spalding peachicks will normally be darker in color. Instead of being a medium shade of brown they will be a darker brown and might also have a grey tint to them.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Thanks Mini, I did not know that either.

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I think they also have a different head shape. Green peafowl seem to have a more of a longer beak that is more straighter or something, hard to describe but they just have a different head shape than India blues. Maybe one of the green peafowl and spalding owners can show some peachick pictures. I have seen pictures of spalding or green peachicks in with India blue peachicks and it is pretty easy to tell the difference because they are just so much darker. I guess if it was a low% spalding chick it might be harder to tell though.

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Yep. I am wondering if the chick that I hatched from the egg my neighbors found in their driveway was from my spalding hen. When the chick gets a lttle bigger,
    I will post some pictures to see if anyone can tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by