how do you tell what gender a chick is?

Does she buy from the pullet bin or straight run?? The pullets are already sexed

Or she could also be very lucky... or maybe there's other signs that she looks for without really thinking about it (like even with birds from a sexed bin I specifically don't want the store employees grabbing any chicks with thicker legs or more alert/upright stances... it's not a guarantee that they're male, but those are possible tells).

I am planning to get RIRs and a Plymouth rock I think I will buy from cackle but im still curiose
Barred rocks are a auto sexing breed...Plymouth Barred Rock. RIR's are not although they have red sex links which are a cross of a RIR Rooster and a Delaware hen, the pullets at hatch are red and the cockerels are yellow

Or she could also be very lucky... or maybe there's other signs that she looks for without really thinking about it (like even with birds from a sexed bin I specifically don't want the store employees grabbing any chicks with thicker legs or more alert/upright stances... it's not a guarantee that they're male, but those are possible tells).
Wife came home last spring with 6 SLW from TSC. After about a week of having them in the house, I said to her "I think you got cockerels in that batch"...well she didn't believe me, but she wasn't the one getting woke up at 2 in the morning by rowdy chicks making all kinds of racket! By 7 weeks though she believed me :) 4 of the 6 were cockerels!

That’s true. Maybe she uses those.

IDK but she gets them from places like tracter supply where enployes don't know a chicken from a quail

She must just be very lucky then.

Back
Top Bottom