How do you tell you chickens apart?

Athena2344

Songster
5 Years
Aug 7, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
I am aware that feedstores sell packs of anklets, but IV only ever seen them in four colors, red, yellow, green, and blue. I was wondering some techniques that you use to tell your large flock of birds apart.

I usually tell by birds apart by which chicken is lighter/darker or by their comb. I've actually never had a problem telling birds apart. However, you can get leg bands that have numbers on it, so you can identify however-many birds you have.

Well I'm getting some BOs and a SLW, I'm not worried about her, but telling all of the buffs apart lol

I was also thinking painting one or two toes with different colored chicks when first hatched, that I'll be planning on selling... I'll definitely keep in mind about the numbered bands for the hens tho thanx

Well I'm getting some BOs and a SLW, I'm not worried about her, but telling all of the buffs apart lol

I was also thinking painting one or two toes with different colored chicks when first hatched, that I'll be planning on selling... I'll definitely keep in mind about the numbered bands for the hens tho thanx
How many buff orps are you getting?

I am waiting to order about 15 BO chicks, 3 cockerels, and 12 pullets. I am also going to get a SLW pullet for my mom as her birthday present. I am also going to get a mystery chick. I am ordering these from Murray's McMurray Hatchery, because I saw lots of good reviews from them, and from other customers on their website.

I am planning on selling two of the BO cockerels as well as 2-5 or the BO pullets, when they first start to lay eggs. my friend has an uncle, that sells live animals including cows, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, guineas, peacocks, and fertilized eggs. He either trades with people, or buys them, then sells the animals at a slightly higher price. I myself have bought a couple of roosters and a rabbit to eat from there, and butchered and ate them over at friends. It was delicious. lol

why do you ask about how many im getting? im just curious.... lol

Each chicken has an individual comb. No two is exactly alike. Now if you have hundreds of chickens, leg bands are the best way to go.

Unfortunately there are few options amongst many chicks. Tags on the legs that have a place to write their names will help, However small and difficult to write/read. Cable ties come in many colors. Yet u could make a chart of what color's who.

I have made my own official "Chicken Keepers Binder" lol

it has six different dividers labeled: Adults, Breeding dates and Nests Laid, Chicks, Shipments, Orders, and daily routine.

it took me about four days to complete, but it was worth it.

Adults: for each set of chickens, there will be the breed pattern, age and name of each adult chicken

BDNL: all of the hens that are and aren't allowed to be bred, the day each nest was laid, and the day its expected to start hatching.

Chicks: for each nest, the Mothers name and ID, the number of eggs laid, and numbered hatched, and then the ID colors of the chicks in nail polish, that will be on one or two toes, then the gender concluded, and the chicks role, IE Meat, Eggs, Kept or sold

Shipments: (I have a friend that has an uncle that sells farm animals, and he buys or trades off of people.) the amounts of chicks, eggs, or chickens I drop off and sell over their, or anything that a person buys off of me

Orders: Prices of eggs, live bird, chick, and processed bird, and then anything a friend has ordered either in eggs or meat, or live animal.

Daily Routine: pretty obvious, but if I leave for a week or two to go visit family, my neighbor now knows what to do

I was very proud of myself for coming up with this, I stayed up a few hours every night writing things down, and I think I went through four pens lol
I will definitely look into getting some legbands from Murray McMurrays hatchery though, thanks for the tip

I use zip ties/cable ties for my girls, I have 10, but it helps my siblings/parents keep track of them... i know all but 3 of them by name... If you had a limited amount of colors (say you have 5 colors) you could still identify twice as many birds as you have colors.. just keep track of what leg they are on... So you could do one with red on the right foot and one with red on the left foot. Just keep an eye out for them getting tight... I put them on as loose as possible so it will slides all the way down to their foot but doesn't go over their toes... I would be hesitant to do this on chicks just because of the growth rate but if you can keep a very close eye on them then I don't see it being a problem..... I could get a picture if you would like... also you can combine colors to give a chicken 2-colors each and then you get a lot more color combinations for more birds. If ya have any questions about the zip ties I would be more than happy to help :)

Back
Top Bottom