How do you trim hen's toenails? And cut spurs on rooster?

saym

Songster
13 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Challis Idaho
It's been a long hard winter and I notice especially on one of my hens, that her toenails on one foot are getting remarkably and painfully long. I am sure it's not complicated, just want advice. also my roo's spurs are getting very long. A neighbor advised to go in at night and snip them off. I appreciate any feed back!

It's been a long hard winter and I notice especially on one of my hens, that her toenails on one foot are getting remarkably and painfully long. I am sure it's not complicated, just want advice. also my roo's spurs are getting very long. A neighbor advised to go in at night and snip them off. I appreciate any feed back!
Do not snip off his spurs! He uses them to protect his ladies. Is he causing an issue? You can't fully cut them off without causing immense pain and bleeding. I had a roo who had an accident and tore his off, it took us 5 whole minutes to stop the bleeding. If it's an issue you CAN file them down a bit if you'd like.
My opinion only.

On toenails, I just use regular nail clippers. (Make sure they're sharp first.) Clip around the edges and be sure not to cut into the quick. If you do accidentally cut into the quick (it's a common mistake), use flour to stop the bleeding. It works well. On the trim, you can also use a file.

You might not be able to get the nails down to where they should be on the first trim if they're really long. If that's the case, trim them more once every 1-2 weeks until they're where they're supposed to be.

On the rooster's spurs, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Their spurs can get very long with no troubles. :)

On toenails, I just use regular nail clippers. (Make sure they're sharp first.) Clip around the edges and be sure not to cut into the quick. If you do accidentally cut into the quick (it's a common mistake), use flour to stop the bleeding. It works well. On the trim, you can also use a file.

You might not be able to get the nails down to where they should be on the first trim if they're really long. If that's the case, trim them more once every 1-2 weeks until they're where they're supposed to be.

On the rooster's spurs, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Their spurs can get very long with no troubles. :)
I would not use flour. Use blood stop powder.

I would not use flour. Use blood stop powder.
Oh? Ok. I've never heard of that before. I've only heard of flour. What is blood stop powder? Is it something you can make, or something you can buy? I'd like to know more information, if you don't mind. :)

Oh? Ok. I've never heard of that before. I've only heard of flour. What is blood stop powder? Is it something you can make, or something you can buy? I'd like to know more information, if you don't mind. :)
Also known as styptic powder. There are ways of making it at home with cornstarch and baking soda I believe, but it is easy to find at feed stores as well :)

Use dog nail clippers to trim the hen's nails down. You may have to trim over a period of time depending on how long they have gotten.

For rooster spurs, use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to trim and blunt them. Use a file to smooth them as needed.
You can also use a hacksaw.

Spurs are best dealt with as Wyorp Rock mentions with something that cuts rather than something that crushes. Most clippers apply pressure that deforms what they cat before the cut is made. On spurs and beaks this often causes hairline fractures while cutting, while something sharp and saw like doesn't.
It's part of why surgeons use bone saws rather than scissor action cutters and why one is advised to file finger nails rather then cut them.

Back
Top Bottom