How do you turn your chicken into a lap chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ILuvMyPetChickens, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ILuvMyPetChickens

ILuvMyPetChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Leavittsburg, Ohio
    My Silkie Rooster today let me put him in my lap and let me him pet him! I think he enjoyed it lol Should I keep doing that till he's used to it?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Keep on lovin that boy. We used to have a silkie roo that would let my daughter carry him around like a baby (sometimes she even swaddled him). He lived in our coop for 2 years, and just about everyday she'd carry him around like that. I even caught them in her room having tea parties [​IMG] He now lives at my brothers girlfriends house- literally in her house. He has his own flock of beautiful ladies but prefers to sit on her couch and watch tv. He even wears a manly blue diaper and rides around in a little pet carrier when she wants to take him somewhere. He's a huge hit at our local Petsmart as well. Good luck with your roo!

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Treats.[​IMG]

4. tamtam84

tamtam84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    SE Missouri
    Yes, keep on hugging him! It helps to handle them a lot from the time they are chicks so they get used to it. Some of my hens are better cuddlers than others, but they all will let me hold them on my lap and pet them. My hen Cleo, who is the bottom of the pecking order, always jumps up on my lap after the other girls are mean to her. It's kind of sweet, like she thinks I'll give her a hug and make it all better [​IMG]

So keep hugging him and giving him cuddles whenever you can. It's good for the soul!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by