1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you use an egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Amy's Animals, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I got 2 free incubators from an older neighbor today who is getting rid of all his chicken stuff. They are both styrofoam-type models with two windows at the top and hold around 50 or so chicken eggs. One incubator has a forced air fan and an egg turner, the other one is a still-air. I have no idea how to use the egg turner since I've never owned one and this one did not come with a manual. Can someone tell me what to do? [​IMG] Thank you! [​IMG]

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    It would help if you would post a picture or tell us what brand and model it is. A turner usually plugs in, may or may not have a switch, you place the eggs large end UP and the turner automatically turns the eggs. My foam bator turns it 30 deg to each side in constant movement, making a cycle in about 4 hours. You remove the turner when you go to lockdown.

3. Apprentice_egger

Apprentice_egger Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Morrisville, Vermont
    You probably only need to plug it in. It comes on and moves slowly throughout the day. I've had my on for the last 22 hours checking it out and you will hear it move from time to time.

4. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    When you first plug it in you might think it isn't working because it moves very slowly. Just wait a couple of hours, then when you look you will see it has moved.

5. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Question, we are getting an egg turner tomorrow, its day 12 of hatch, do I just plug it in to something inside the hovabator? I dont have the egg turner box yet so I am not sure if there are easy instructions. Pardon me, not trying to highjack your thread, just dont wanna post a whole new one for one question!!!

6. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:Not positive about the hovabator version, but the LG version plugs into the wall. Mine really changed the airflow in my bator though, and I had a hard time stabilizing temps for a while afterwards. You might wait until the next hatch to use it, or at least plan on being home to make temp adjustments.

7. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:Not positive about the hovabator version, but the LG version plugs into the wall. Mine really changed the airflow in my bator though, and I had a hard time stabilizing temps for a while afterwards. You might wait until the next hatch to use it, or at least plan on being home to make temp adjustments.

Thank you, will keep that in mind. We don't have any sockets handy anyways so would need to get another power strip. Just paranoid we arent doing a good enough job turning the eggs (hubby to be and I share duties)

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have a hovabator and bought an LG turner it fits, it works, and it was cheeper. It just sits in with motor in back theres a place for the plug to come out of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by