How do YOU winterize your coop?

Do you have issues with predators with your run having the bigger holes in the wire? We have a hog panel coop which we had to line with welded wire or raccoons can reach in and try to pull a chicken out. It is quite disturbing to find your chicken after this has happened. Predators ( racoons, mink, bobcats, weasel, etc) are a real problem in our area and we try to take every precaution. Any tips would be great!
Not really any issues because I put the roost so both sides are covered. When a chicken roost they feel safe close to the wall so the silt fence material blocks them from being seen

Do you have issues with predators with your run having the bigger holes in the wire? We have a hog panel coop which we had to line with welded wire or raccoons can reach in and try to pull a chicken out. It is quite disturbing to find your chicken after this has happened. Predators ( racoons, mink, bobcats, weasel, etc) are a real problem in our area and we try to take every precaution. Any tips would be great!
I use a hot wire. I figure if anything tries to reach in, they will get a nice jolt while trying.

Last edited:
I put several bales of straw down to cover the mud last spring. I lost 2 hens to impacted crops before I figured out what was going on. I took one to the vet for a necropsy, he mentioned that there was long stuff in her crop. I checked them all as soon as I got home. Treated for impacted and sour crop. Won't ever put straw down again.

What do you use in place of straw?

@hillbilly91 I have a similar build to yours and was wondering what you do about the 'floor ' of the coop and water/moisture? Mine gets water logged quickly and I don't want my girls to be wet. I move it around but it only does so much. Especially if we get a lot of rain. I am in the Midlands of sc so similar weather!
I'm on the *wet* side of the Oregon Cascade mountain range, so we get some snow, but a lot of rain. I use sand for the floor of my walk in coop. It dries fast, and is very quick to clean daily (takes about 2 minutes, and I have 9 birds).

I use heavy black plastic on the wind side of the coop and roof, and my coop is insulated, with no additional heat. I put thick, clear plastic over the large glass windows, too. On nights when the outside temps were around 11 F, the coop was still way above freezing. I have more chickens now, and probably won't need to do quite as much (more chickens = more heat in the coop!).

Unless they are laying eggs, or going to sleep, my chickens aren't in the coop, but choose to cruise the yard, even when the temperature was in the teens. They have several areas which are covered and blocked by the wind/rain/snow.

I'm not going to get into the Great Straw Debate -- I've never used it, so I don't know. Sand worked fine for my climate and needs.

i was noticing how everyone is concerned about water freezing, i am new to having chickens and know very little about a few things. Without sounding to dumb, why is this a big concern. thanks in advance, and for also being patient with my questions.

They can't drink frozen water, and water is more necessary than food. If you live somewhere where it is freezing most of the day the birds go thirsty..no bueno! :)
i was noticing how everyone is concerned about water freezing, i am new to having chickens and know very little about a few things. Without sounding to dumb, why is this a big concern. thanks in advance, and for also being patient with my questions.

Good ventilation, straw to insulate the walls, heated waterers... no regular heaters because fires kill more birds than the cold does. And if the power went out, they would not be able to survive the weather, they need to build resistance.
Deep straw. Lights in the coop so they can lay eggs are helpful, plus the coop can be dark as a cave during winter, even with windows.

Back
Top Bottom