how do your chickens like to be petted?

pdxchristine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Forest Grove, OR
One of my girls (only about 2 weeks old) jumps onto my hand if I put it in the brooder. She's very calm and friendly. Still working on the other two...

anyway, it got me thinking. Are there any particular places or ways that chickens like being petted?

Great thread!
thumbsup.gif
What breed, may I ask, is your friendly girl? I'm eager to hear what others have to say.
pop.gif

Great thread!
thumbsup.gif
What breed, may I ask, is your friendly girl? I'm eager to hear what others have to say.
pop.gif
My super friendly one is a barred rock. the other two are ameraucana/EE and gold sex link. My barred rock is very independent and the ringleader of the group. The gold sex link is kinda nervous, she doesn't like to be held and doesn't like to be alone (like if were holding the other two and she's alone in the brooder).

my red stars love having their bellies rubbed....... my buff orpington roo loves having behind his ears scratched, he looks like a dog with his beak open and eyes closed.lol....... one of my jersey giants loves under her Left wing only rubbed while the other likes her Right wing (they came from 2 differnt places and are around the same age, weirds huh?)

my red stars love having their bellies rubbed....... my buff orpington roo loves having behind his ears scratched, he looks like a dog with his beak open and eyes closed.lol....... one of my jersey giants loves under her Left wing only rubbed while the other likes her Right wing (they came from 2 differnt places and are around the same age, weirds huh?)
that's awesome! i was wondering if they'd like having behind the ears rubbed, like a dog. I'll have to see if i can get the open beak, closed eyed thing ;-)

I never knew chickens could be cuddly.
big_smile.png
I have a RIR (Little Fatty) who loves to cuddle up to my chest and nuzzle with my cat.(I have a realllly mellow kitty who loves alll babies) It's a lot of fun to watch them "play"
lau.gif
I also have a Buff Orp (Baby) who is not quite as cuddly but still like to be pet on her head, chest and back. I have 2 blue lace wyandotts (Chicky and Jelly Bean) who would rather you not touch them, but will put up with it if you have chicken crack. (meal worms) and I just got 2 baby(about 2 weeks old) ameracans (Twinki and Bo) who are somewhere in between. (I just think they are still to young to be sure of me just yet.)

My Buff Orpingtons love to be scratched/rubbed on the chest and pet on the back. One will even lay on her side so I can scratch her belly like a dog and she falls asleep. My EE's will let me pet their backs ocassionally. My Leghorns won't let me touch them! They act like my hands are medieval torture weapons unless they have food in them.
tongue.png

My Buff Orpingtons love to be scratched/rubbed on the chest and pet on the back. One will even lay on her side so I can scratch her belly like a dog and she falls asleep. My EE's will let me pet their backs ocassionally. My Leghorns won't let me touch them! They act like my hands are medieval torture weapons unless they have food in them.
tongue.png
I agree with the BO's .. mine are seriously lap chickens.. since they were chicks they loved attention and now that they have grown up they are even more friendly.. if I go outside and sit down in the grass they walk up to me and climb up on my lap to nap
smile.png
it's adorable

One of my Isa Browns fell asleep on my chest last week as I was lying in the grass. She slept on her side with her big chicky feet poking out. She is my friendliest girl. I think she likes it when I pet the back of her head and neck.

Back
Top Bottom