How do your chicks sleep???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ohiostatfan, May 16, 2008.

1. Ohiostatfan

Ohiostatfan Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I am so new to this...I had baby chicks a few summers ago w/ my banties....but that was momma and babies, not just babies in a brooder.

Anyone else have chicks that just SPRAWL to sleep??? I have to go in and take a picture in the morning....they just lay all stretched out all over each other. I was so worried at first, but I harrassed them and they all got up and ran around, and are all ok....lol this morning one was sleeping on its BACK!!! [​IMG]

~Bridget

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We got our current "main" flock as day olds on May 14th of last year. It was our first time raising them from such a young age and some of the things they did panicked me at first...

Nothing like watching them fall over in mid-stride to take a nap.

Then they figured out dust bathing and I first I was sure it was some kind of life-threathening fit they were having!

Ah, the joys of your first experience being "Momma Hen". [​IMG]

Dawn

3. Ohiostatfan

Ohiostatfan Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    LOL at least I know mine are "normal" now....lol falling down mid-stride was quite interesting too......and of course there's one who likes to sleep w/ his face on the feeder.....
    I think my hubby is ready to keep me OUT of the chickie room....I'm always worried about something!

~Bridget

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG] Indeed it cracked me up after my first several near heart attacks.

5. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Seen mine napping this afternoon on the edge of a pallet that makes the bottom of the coop, and they was dangling their heads like they was dead,
    I've the older ones do it on the perch in the coop.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

They are entertaining. Sprawled all over each other. Playing keep away and tag. Falling asleep with their heads in the feeder. Looking like a rugby scrum. Chest butting. I like the way they stretch a wing and leg at the same time.

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Don't they make sleeping look tempting?

8. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Wait to they start sleeping on a perch. You swear the way they hang their head so low they are going to fall off.

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Haaa. Mine sleep the same way. All sprawled out on each other. Necks everywhere it seems. We put a piece of wood in their brooder so they can perch on it. Our bantam especially will get up in and and perch. Her little neck will be hanging down stretched to the max.. [​IMG]

10. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    One of mine went to sleep standing up with one foot in the waterer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by