How do your geese get along with chickens?

I have a one-month-old gosling who I believe is an Embden currently living with 7 two-month-old chickens (6 hens, 1 roo). The roo tends to chase the gosling around when too close to the hens but doesn't try to hurt him and doesn't run him down or anything. The gosling is, ahem, a big chicken and just runs away making a lot of noise. The hens are, like, "Boys...." and go about their business.

Mine get along very well with chickens. The only time they really interact is when they are all eating, at which point if the geese feel like it they will assert their dominance over the chickens with a quick nudge away from the food.

I did have a lone goose with my chickens for awhile accidentally. She got along with them fine too, and hung around with them. She was of course much happier once I got more geese since a goose should never ever be kept as a single goose. They are flock animals and need to have a friend of their own kind. To do otherwise is cruel. So I got her some goose friends as soon as a I could and as soon as I did she stopped hanging with the chickens and starting hanging with the geese. Now the birds will travel around the yard together but the geese very much stick together and for the most part don't interact with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom