How does a small town enforce their chicken keeping rules/ordinances?

I like the idea of a pilot program, where a limited number of residents, could just be you really, start with a small flock and after 6 months the council could review how things have gone, and the reassess if they want to permit them more widely. You could even invite them to tour your set up. I think most people really have no clue about chickens. They think noise, smell, and chickens running riot all over the neighborhoods. If they can see how easily contained and quiet chickens can actually be, perhaps that will grease the wheels a bit.

You could propose some type of program where the youth in the community start a small flock. What a great way to teach the kids about life, responsibility and caring for our environment. They could even benefit by keeping a share of the eggs produced or donate them to any local shelters or food programs for the poor. Even in a small town, there are people that are in need, and if you can't find them there, I'm sure a local church group could steer you in that direction. Either way, a youth program could be a great way to get the council invested in the idea that chickens are beneficial to the community.

Just a thought.

Thanks so much! I think they aren't scared of the chickens themselves but they are worried about people that wont follow the ordinance or neighbors complaining about something, hence, WHO will enforce these issues....

OR, how do we prevent these issues from happening...? I personally don't think that many people will even have chickens if we put a permit and/or fee on it.

How do they enforce other ordinances? For example, if there is a problem with someone's dog or a general noise disturbance, who deals with that?

Right now its our ONE police officer, but according to him, his plate is full already!

Hi there. This is now three years later, curious what you figured out. I'm fighting the fight in my small town (pop 800) in a very rural agricultural town/community in Maryland. the main concern is code enforcement. I will suggest the pilot program. I'm still so perplexed that where I live this is an issue, but I am in town limits so I understand we have a different set of rules. thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom