How does a small town enforce their chicken keeping rules/ordinances?

HeatherKB

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2015
Well, my big night in the spotlight was last night. I took it to the board to change our ordinance to allow us to have a small flock of backyard chickens. I went well prepared with answers to all the negative thoughts on chicken keeping and it went over fairly well! BUT here was the issue brought up (you know there always has to be one! UGG)
sickbyc.gif

How does a small town (pop. apx 2000) enforce the ordinance and who is responsible for that? I could really use some ideas on this issue to show the board. I did suggest a permit fee to keep "joe-shmo" from picking up chickens at the feed store on a whim and not taking care of them, but apparently that wasn't enough in their eyes.

Any info I could present to the board would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Well, my big night in the spotlight was last night. I took it to the board to change our ordinance to allow us to have a small flock of backyard chickens. I went well prepared with answers to all the negative thoughts on chicken keeping and it went over fairly well! BUT here was the issue brought up (you know there always has to be one! UGG)
sickbyc.gif

How does a small town (pop. apx 2000) enforce the ordinance and who is responsible for that? I could really use some ideas on this issue to show the board. I did suggest a permit fee to keep "joe-shmo" from picking up chickens at the feed store on a whim and not taking care of them, but apparently that wasn't enough in their eyes.

Any info I could present to the board would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Reach out to @Blooie on this.

Where do you live? Is there another small towns near you? How do they deal with it? Does it work well for them? Is your Neighbors okay with you having them? Maybe they would speak in your defense. Maybe see if they would start a "pilot" program for a year or two. Some towns make you get signed forms from Neighbors. Would you be willing to volunteer to work in the evenings enforcement. Cause it would only be a issue if people complained and most people are home in the evening. I would not think it would be every day. With a fee like you suggested would pay for any forms. Do you guys have a citizen patrol? They are volunteering their time to patrol the streets maybe they could deal with it. If they let you volunteer, buy a answering machine and have them give you a phone line in the evenings stop by and check it. Make a log of calls so if it is a pilot program you will have a reference. Good luck

Last edited:
I really like the "pilot" idea. That was actually brought up, that a few towns are allowing them on a trial basis. I really don't even think we would have too many people who would have chickens in the first place for it to be an issue but they seem set on worrying about it. "citizen patrol"....no, I have a hard time seeing anyone wanting to do any more than they have to! LOL Even our local policeman said his load was big enough without adding chicken complaints to it! GEEZ

I am actually having a hard time finding any small towns near us that allow chickens (sad really)

I really like the "pilot" idea.  That was actually brought up, that a few towns are allowing them on a trial basis.  I really don't even think we would have too many people who would have chickens in the first place for it to be an issue but they seem set on worrying about it.  "citizen patrol"....no, I have a hard time seeing anyone wanting to do any more than they have to! LOL  Even our local policeman said his load was big enough without adding chicken complaints to it! GEEZ

I am actually having a hard time finding any small towns near us that allow chickens (sad really)

Shearch out someone retired chicken lover see if they could /would volunteer there time they could check answering machine as often as they like LOL

Is there a feed store set up a poster for people that would like to get a group of people together show the board there is other people wanting chickens. And too. With them involved there is less chance that someone will ruin it for you down the road as in not following the new rules.

No, no feed store. We are a very small town in central IL, population apx 2000.

Anyone else have ideas for me? I could really use more! I feel like we are on the right path to making this work, just need as many ideas as possible to show the board. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom