how does it eat

I agree with cull, if the whole bill is gone, then that means there is a high risk of infection that can get right into the bone in the skull. A cross beak and a ripped off beak are two totally different issues beyond being able to eat. Just because it does not look to be in pain, it is a bird, and birds are some of the best hiders of pain and discomfort till it's too late. One reason it is hard to catch any problems before they just "drop dead."

If you absolutely must keep them, take them to an avian vet where proper medical care can be taken such as ensuring no infections and sealing of any "open ends" that can lead to a systemic problem.

I can't even imagine how much pain this poor thing must be in with the entire bill ripped off. You said even including the nostrils??? Poor thing.
sad.png

I am sorry to say but in my humble opinion I think it best to cull. it is the best thing you can for the duck, ease it's misery and pain. It will die shortly anyway from shock or infection.

AL

i can not cull her myself but she is drinking water and im not sure how or what to feed her
she only has one nostril but is doing okay
i am going to put some cream on the end of were the bill should be
i also gave her some regular water and some sugar water and i let her clean the wound herself with some salt water she liked the salt water the best i think because it might of cleaned it
i can not afford to take her to a vet especially since there isnt a vet out here that deals with ducks
i will give her a few days and see if the woung starts to heal a little and if not i will take her some were to be culled

Please put this poor creature down. You said you cannot do it, why not? There are many of us here who could talk you through it. It surely will be emotional for you but it the kindest thing for her right now.
Part of having poultry is knowing that you will probably at some point have to put a bird down. It's the responsible thing to do.
I'm sorry your duck got hurt.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Couldn't agree with this statement more. Not to sound mean, but by not putting her out of her misery....and she can not possibly not be in pain from this.....you are not doing the responsible thing. By "giving her a few days" you are only prolonging the inevitable for her. If her whole bill is gone except for one nostril I don't see how she has any hope of survival. I was looking at my ducks this morning and trying to envision how they could manage if this had happened to one of them. I don't see how they could.

Putting an animal down is never an easy thing to do for any of us, but please think of her and find the courage to do the right thing for her.

I have to agree with culling her... My heart aches to think of the pain she must be in. Possinly you can find a BYC'er close by that could do it for you. I have had to have a friend cull an old rooster of mine and she was happy to do it.

I know this is VERY diffucult decision for you but the truly humane thing would be to let her go. So Sorry
sad.png

I think you are all correct that the duck is in trouble. But I also think that the duck and the owner are both probably also in shock at the moment. I would hope that I could find compassion and help here to see me though something like this. I'm afraid I would also be in the same place as the OP of this thread is. I would have to try to help before I could make the decision to cull, knowing that the odds were not high in the duck's favor. I need to know that I have done what I can before that choice is made, a few sad events under my belt has gone a long ways to learning when is the right time.

Best wishes for you and your duck Cowman901. Livestock ownership just plain stinks sometimes. Do you have any wildlife rehab place near you that might be a resource? I have seen some wild ducks with bizarre injuries that my local wildlife people have worked on.

Regardless if the vet is does not generally deal with poultry/ducks, vets will be able to put any any animal down if need be. My Mother took in a sick canary to the vets the other day to be put down. they gave it a small injection in the foot and that was that. The vet didn't even charge her because they used to little of the medicine.

I'm sure it would cost you very very little to have the duck euthanized at the vets. You could even call them and ask them how much they would charge you.

You could also call the SPCA (I think you guys call it the ASPCA) as I know they would rather help an animal rather than have it suffer from lack of funds.

I'm so sorry about your poor little one
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom