How does my brooder look?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I cannot wait to pick up my babies next week! I am starting them in the dog crate for the first few days, mainly because it’s easy to reach in and so I can be on their level to avoid them being scared as much as possible, & then attaching to a big cardboard crate as they get a bit bigger. Should I line the bottom outside few inches with cardboard Or something else? If so, on the inside or outside, & how high should that part be? The bottom has a plastic shelf so their legs won’t get stuck in the wires. The side openings are about an inch wide & 2 1/2 inches high. Tested the plate to make sure I feel heat & it works, & food, grit & electrolyte drops are bought also, along with shavings for the expansion (unless you guys think I should stay with puppy pads until they are a few weeks old). I have bigger feeders/waterers for when they move to the outside coop at 4 weeks. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• 72F6FD2E-4BE0-41EE-B341-7F759AFD5C77.jpeg
    72F6FD2E-4BE0-41EE-B341-7F759AFD5C77.jpeg
    534.4 KB · Views: 24

PoultryCQ

Songster
Jul 13, 2021
CA
I cannot wait to pick up my babies next week! I am starting them in the dog crate for the first few days, mainly because it’s easy to reach in and so I can be on their level to avoid them being scared as much as possible, & then attaching to a big cardboard crate as they get a bit bigger. Should I line the bottom outside few inches with cardboard Or something else? If so, on the inside or outside, & how high should that part be? The bottom has a plastic shelf so their legs won’t get stuck in the wires. The side openings are about an inch wide & 2 1/2 inches high. Tested the plate to make sure I feel heat & it works, & food, grit & electrolyte drops are bought also, along with shavings for the expansion (unless you guys think I should stay with puppy pads until they are a few weeks old). I have bigger feeders/waterers for when they move to the outside coop at 4 weeks. Thanks for your input!
Chicks would be able to squish through the crate gaps, up until they are 3 weeks old.

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Chicks would be able to squish through the crate gaps, up until they are 3 weeks old.
That’s why I was asking if I should line with cardboard or something else. Any suggestions on what to use? Thanks so much!

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
You COULD line it with cardboard, but make sure to keep it dry. You really dont want a chick getting stuck between the wires, so you may have to do quite a few inches.
Thank you! I definitely don’t want anyone stuck!

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Why aren't you brooding directly in the coop? That is where I brooded mine. Lots of fresh air, a lot more space, no stink and dust in your house.

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Why aren't you brooding directly in the coop? That is where I brooded mine. Lots of fresh air, a lot more space, no stink and dust in your house.
Coop is at my aunts farm down the street. We are taking care of them jointly, but I’m over the town line so I can’t have chickens. I get to do the fun part, & then visit daily and help her take care of them!

Also the brooder is in a room off our attached garage, so it’s not right in the middle of our living space.

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
Line it with cardboard on the INSIDE so chicks don't squeeze out part way and get stuck between wire and cardboard.
I ended up lining it with some 1/2 inch garden wire up to about 6 inches all the way around & over the door from the inside. Thanks for your input!

Top Bottom